Fishing border water

• fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

My son is fishing on Big Stone. He called me and asked if he went off on the South Dakota side does he need a South Dakota license. I didn’t have a answer. What is the rules.

Ripjiggen

He is fine to fish the whole lake.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

He is fine to fish the whole lake.

This is correct. Different licenses are only needed if crossing the physical border with Canada and Lake Superior (WI, MI, Canada).

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

he was asking about leaving. there is a landing by were he is fishing but it on the South Dakota side.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Abide by the rules of that state and alls well.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Pretty sure you’re allowed to transport fish without a license as long as they were legally acquired. Meaning that as long as you caught them on a body of water you are licensed to fish you should be fine to transport them. Not 100% sure on that though.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Pretty sure you’re allowed to transport fish without a license as long as they were legally acquired. Meaning that as long as you caught them on a body of water you are licensed to fish you should be fine to transport them. Not 100% sure on that though.

Just imagine saying to the warden “Well, my dad said a guy on a fishing forum said it was OK.” That’ll go over like a lead balloon. Tell your son to do the research himself. I’m pretty sure the S.D. DNR has a website.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Double check with SD to be sure, but as a resident of Hudson, WI and a frequent fisherman of the St. Croix, this question comes up periodically. The rules here state you can use a license from either bordering state and can launch from either side of the river. So for example, as a resident of Hudson, with my WI license I can launch in Bayport, MN and legally keep fish and transport them back home to Hudson.

One thing to note, if you are a resident of one of the border states, you must use and abide by the license of the state you reside in. So again, in my example of St. Croix, I must possess a WI license. I also have a MN license for use on MN inland waters, but it won’t help me on the St. Croix since I reside in WI.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Thanks for the response. He looked Friday night any I didn’t find anything yesterday morning.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’m far from a law enforcement expert but if he was just looking to drive off the lake on the S.D. side i dont see how that be an issue since you can fish that
    body of water with either license???????

i remember back when the sand lake/bowstring chain you could take 9 pike when the rest of the state was a 3 fish limit. all you needed per the warden i talked to was a reciept from a local area business!!!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just imagine saying to the warden “Well, my dad said a guy on a fishing forum said it was OK.” That’ll go over like a lead balloon. Tell your son to do the research himself. I’m pretty sure the S.D. DNR has a website.

Would you prefer I wrote that in a confident manner and be wrong? Sheesh.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Assuming he is licensed in MN

He can leave the lake on the SD side with a MN limit of what ever species he is possessing.

The key part of the border reg is limits. For example if the SD limit were more than the MN limit, you can only posses the MN limit.

If you were from Iowa and staying in SD, you would follow the SD limits. If staying in MN, you would follow the MN limits.

-J.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ron wrote:</div>

Would you prefer I wrote that in a confident manner and be wrong? Sheesh.

I’d prefer that people wouldn’t give ambiguous legal advice to strangers on internet forums, and that people wouldn’t be gullible enough to believe legal advice from strangers on internet forums. But that’s just my blue-sky world.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.