Fisheries

• Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

Does anyone know how I could get into some sort of fisheries volunteer program with the Wisconsin or Minnesota DNR or if this is even a possibility. Preferably, something that involves tagging or stocking fish. This is something that is highly recommended in order to get into a good college for fisheries management which is my goal.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Your college of choice should have somebody to refer you to. Otherwise hop in the car and drive to you states DNR office and start talking to people. Be pro-active if you want a job. Don’t sit at home and send e-mails.

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

Your college of choice should have somebody to refer you to. Otherwise hop in the car and drive to you states DNR office and start talking to people. Be pro-active if you want a job. Don’t sit at home and send e-mails.

Better than doing nothing while stuck at home. This is just the first thing I did as I’m just beginning to think about it. I plan on doing that.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I didn’t mean you were being lazy or anything. I meant getting face to face is always a better way to go in my opinion. What state are you looking at? Go track down your local DNR CO they might be able to help. They probably went through the same thing you are at one time. grin

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

I didn’t mean you were being lazy or anything. I meant getting face to face is always a better way to go in my opinion. What state are you looking at? Go track down your local DNR CO they might be able to help. They probably went through the same thing you are at one time. grin

Auburn,AL

blackbay
    mn

Charlie you have a PM.

walleye216

I would call your nearest state fisheries biologist and volunteer to help. Most fisheries people are happy to have volunteers, but you must be willing to do any work they have for you. Everyone wants to net and tag fish, but not many people want to clean and maintain equipment, remove otoliths, or age fish. If you stick with volunteering you will get to experience most things a fisheries biologist does.

It is great that you are planning ahead. A year or two of volunteer work will definitely help you get into a good school. Also be aware that most good fisheries jobs go to people who have masters degrees and you must do well in college to get into a masters program.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

No need to travel to Alabama. Vermillion community college in ely. They have a good relationship with the DNR and great volunteer opportunities. Plus, it’s cheap and if it’s the same as when I went there tuition was cheaper if you have a act over 25. Something to check out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.