First turkey

• youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

So I posted quite awhile back about my son being gun shy. Well thanks to those of you that offered advice… thats what IDO is all about!!! I followed the advice and eased him back into shooting with a .22, then .410, and finally a shotgun. I was very cautious and patient and he was quite eager to hunt and very comfortable shooting.

Yesterday youth season opened in iowa. Being it was only 20 degrees in the morning… we elected to sleep in and go out later in the day. We got into the woods about noon and set up. Nothing in the first spot so we eased up onto a ridge that the birds like to use. After about an hour and some calling… we heard a faint gobble. After a bit of a circus in the blind… we heard another gobble much closer. He continued marching in from behind us gobbling and strutting the whole way to about 20 ft behind the blind. I thought my son’s eyes were gonna pop out when he gobbled that close. Finally he marched around the blind to the decoys… had to make a slight adjustment to get a good shot and then he dropped the hammer at 25yds. One shot clean kill… Lots of whooping and hollering and hugs. Got to share it with my dad so 3 generations of turkey hunters in the blind.

So thank you again to those that offered advice. It was an unforgettable day.

Attachments:
    1. edited_1460241595252.jpg

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

Congrats to the young man on his turkey and it looks to be a dandy to boot.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats! Kid smiles in the outdoors are the BEST. That is cool that all 3 of you got to experience that success. waytogo waytogo

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

big congrats, guys
    great picture of a great bird waytogo waytogo

schoff
    S.E., SD

Way to go!!!! applause

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Congrats to both the Young man and Dad. Great Bird and Picture. I was looking forward to getting the Daughter out next weekend in search of her 2nd bird. Unfortunately she fell while roller skating on Friday and broke her Right wrist. She asked the Dr. if she could still go turkey hunting next weekend. The Dr. said NO !!!!!. She really bummed. Maybe she can tag along with me and still enjoy being out there anyway.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Yeah thanks guys. As much as I love hunting… there is no comparison to watching him get his first bird. Great way to start the season.

Thumper… hope your daughter is able to get out with you. I plan on getting my daughter out in the blind with me even though she can’t hunt yet.

Iowaboy1

the smile says it all,aint nothin better is there???
    congrats on the memories that will be talked about for a long time to come!!!!

Cody hesseltine
    Maryland

Congrats to your boy ! Making good memories Dad !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.