First Timer – Lake Winnipeg

• busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Heading to Lake Winnipeg for the first time in March and just have some basic questions. I am traveling from Fargo and staying in Gimli, bringing a wheeler and an Otter portable.

Where is the best place to purchase a conservation license and bait?

Everyone just using big fatheads for their deadsticks?

Any information or advice is helpful! Thanks

JR Carter

I would prolly call ahead and make sure you don’t need tracks or rent a tracked vehicle up there and leave your wheeler home generally tracks are needed just talked to a group that went this weekend and without tracks they would just get stuck 3 feet of ice around 1 foot of snow

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I would probably call ahead and make sure you don’t need tracks or rent a tracked vehicle up there and leave your wheeler home generally tracks are needed just talked to a group that went this weekend and without tracks they would just get stuck 3 feet of ice around 1 foot of snow

Didn’t know there was a place to rent a tracked vehicle. Do you have any recommendations?

THX

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Manitoba license must be purchased in person, they are not sold online.
    Manitoba license info Walmart or any gas station that sells bait should sell the license. Just a heads up, these gas stations basically get a book of license and when they are sold, they are sold out until the new license books are issued. Manitoba license will run from 05/1-04/30, so you are approaching the end of the license year in Manitoba and you will be surprised how many gas stations or bait shops are sold out.

Salted shiners or salted minnows brought from the states is fine for dead stick or tipping a spoon. These fish are roaming around and often need to be called into your fishing area. Loud rattle baits of any kind will work, I like the Rapala Rippin rap size 6 or 7, remember Manitoba is also barbless.

jkarels

Just got back from my second trip up there. Look up Pro Am bait in Winnipeg.You can get a license and live bait there. As far as a 4 wheeler you should be fine as long as you use your head and look for slush.
    4 of us were up there and had really nice weather ended up with 27 walleyes 27-29 inches. also caught my PB a 29″ 12 lb

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

I see on the URL you attached that it states you can pre-purchase a license by phone. Is this something I should consider doing?

(Pre-Purchased Licenses
    Licences may also be bought by MasterCard®, Visa®, or by mail. Call 1-800-214-6497 for more information.)

Thanks for the information!

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Sounds like a good time jkarels! I hope I can get to Winnipeg before they close at 9pm! Yea from what I’ve heard we will be able to get around on a wheeler, obviously if I had a sled I would prefer to take that but maybe next year! Live bait seem to be better than dead salted shiners on your deadstick?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I see on the URL you attached that it states you can pre-purchase a license by phone. Is this something I should consider doing?

(Pre-Purchased Licenses
    Licences may also be bought by MasterCard®, Visa®, or by mail. Call 1-800-214-6497 for more information.)

Thanks for the information!

I personally wouldn’t trust the mail system with sending a license, unless you had a month or better before your trip. Like a post above, Pro Am tackle is a good place to stop to get what you need for license, jigs, and how the bite is going.

jkarels

Really didn’t fish deadstick much this trip.. Live targets, Rippin Raps 9 in UV pink worked in the morning and pink blade baits from noon on kept us busy jigging. All were tipped with minnow heads
    Ended up fishing in about 10′ in the morning til the bite died off about 10 am then moved to around 15-16 fow til dusk

Ryan Lorenz

Canada tire in Selkirk was good. I liked their emerald shiners better than the salties that fall off all the time from Pro-Am. I’ve had quite long waits a Pro-Am and since I didn’t need any more gear it was nice to skip the crowd there. We usually stop to eat then swing in there quick. Easy to park with a trailer too.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Thanks for all the help fellas. Sounds like I will just wait and buy my license and bait in either Winnipeg or Selkirk. We plan on leaving Fargo Thursday afternoon then driving to Winnipeg and staying in a hotel that night. Then head to Lake Winnipeg early Friday morning and plan on going out of the west side since we are staying in Gimli. We be best going out of Chalet Beach??

Mike Stark
    Ely, MN

Chalet and Warner are the two main accesses on the south west side. I think Warner will have more parking than Chalet. It is just a little ways to the north of Chalet.

Jake
    Brainerd

There is a really nice store called “the fishin’ hole” right on the way in Winnipeg. That’s where I pick up my license and they have every bait you could ever want. live targets, kamooki’s, etc. Real friendly people and and will tell you what has been hot.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Awesome, thanks for the helpful info fellas. Will make the trip a lot smoother!

Mike Stark
    Ely, MN

Chalet Beach is actually kinda a private road. Couple of the people that live at the end of the end of the road have been trying to keep people from using the access.

Warner is the access to use.

Ryan Lorenz

Yes use Warner Road access. chalet wasn’t accessible when I was up in Feb. Good Luck, post pics

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

I have read a couple other posts from other forums and it sounds like guys are driving part ways out from Warners road to the mouth then unloading there sleds or quads on the ice. Is this something to consider doing?

Kolton Eischens

Looking to head up for the first time in the Middle of March. Wondering what size and action rods I should use and where to begin fishing. Any advice is appreciated, thanks -Kolton

Cameron white

Mid March could be touch and go this year kolton. Ice is not as thick like in years past. When it goes, it will be quick. MH for ripping cranks, work great for spoons too. A deadstick would be good too.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.