First time with Ice House

• icecave22

Hello,
    Newbie here! I have always iced fished on a bucket or my Genz clam. I purchased an Ice Cave (17 foot) fish house last year and I am wondering how to get out on the lakes! Just looking for some tips and tricks to find good access to local lakes and lakes elsewhere in the state! I plan on taking my Ice Cave on and off the lake with every trip. I also have a handicap son that will be with me, so no crazy hard to get to places. Also, for my truck and Ice Cave it needs to have at least 12 inches of ice to attempt to get on?
    Thank you for any and all suggestions!

KP
    Hudson, WI

Where are you located out of? Or do have any areas you plan on going?

icecave22

I live in East Bethel. Day trips would be Milacs. Weekend trips would be further north. I would like to hit maybe Red Lake this year?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Mille Lacs and Red are some of the more accessible lakes.
    After a few trips you’ll be like one of the Roman’s.
    Have fun this winter and make sure you send in some pic’s. waytogo

Nodakk

There are some threads on this site regarding packing lists and safety items for wheelhouses. Should be easily found with the search function.

Going out of a resort with a plowed road system sounds like it will be what your looking for. Mille Lacs, Red, Winnie, Leech, or LoW are all great options for that. I’d recommend a your first trip or two be to Mille Lacs as it’s close and easy to get back home if needed. Once you get your feet wet (not literally hopefully) you’ll be like the thousands of us that go every weekend.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Where are you located. I’m near Chisago area and there is always plowed roads on all of our lakes.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yea not sure i’d be driving a truck and wheelhouse on 12 inches……but thats just me.

Nodakk

Better give it about 15” of ice

rjohnson8404

A lot of it always depends on weather.
    But in the metro usually Minnetonka and Prior get enough travel you can fish them throughout the season.

As far as up north I would highly recommend macs twin bay for Mille lacs or rocky reef. They both do great jobs of updating their conditions on FB also appledorns is top notch. As far as leech I would use acorn hill or horseshoe bay lodge both do amazing job of plowing wheelhouse spots.
    As far as red you can’t really go wrong with Jr’s or west winds. Both do great jobs of updating and plowing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.