First time to Lake Erie 09-16 APR

• rswan
    Lakeville, MN

I’m headed to Erie for the first time ever. Be there 09 APR to 16 APR. Was wondering if anyone would be willing to share any info or tips for me. Also, If anyone was going during this period if they would be willing to share info while we are there. Lures, depth, areas. Any help would be appreciated.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

How do I like and subscribe to this thread??

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I don’t see that I’ll be there this spring. But I hit two areas. Either Detroit river mouth or the Oak Harbor, OH.

Reefs and water clarity. Muddy water can be very tough. For obvious reasons, watch the wind forecasts!

Everyone seems to have a claim for what is best style to fish. For me, it’s just be flexible and work your strength. If your a jig and plastic guy, pound plastics, if your a blade guy, throw blades. The western basin has many reef complexes, youll know the popular ones. They’ll look like another island with all the boats in them

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’ll be heading out there Apr. 16-23rd. This will be my 6th trip out east. We spend a lot of our time trolling cranks. Or spinners if the water is warm enough for it (above 50). A lot of guys like jigging on the reefs. We prefer trolling the open basin around the cans and out towards the islands. Seem to get larger fish trolling than jigging. We stay in Port Clinton and use Catawba & Mazurik boat accesses.

We check reports on http://www.walleye.com starting a few weeks before we go to see what the guides & other local folks are doing and what’s working best for them. Go into the main forums, then click on the western basin reports.

If you’re looking for info in particular, send me a PM.

Bill Mundt

You won’t need any tips or tricks. There are zillions of walleyes swimming around. You could catch fish on a frozen dog turd on Erie. You will have a blast. Your only ememy will be the weather.

Have fun.

rswan
    Lakeville, MN

I appreciate for the info. I also am staying in port clinton. I plan to use bandits and 44 magnums. Going with 3 guys and will try to run 9 lines if possible. Don’t know where Oak Harbor is, but I will find it.

David Blais

We will be out there April 9-16 as well. We are staying on south bass island. Will you be on shore or staying on the island?

It seems the guys that stay on shore usually fish the cans and reefs. The island guys usually be up east of the island towards Kelly’s. This is our 4th year out there

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I appreciate for the info. I also am staying in port clinton. I plan to use bandits and 44 magnums. Going with 3 guys and will try to run 9 lines if possible. Don’t know where Oak Harbor is, but I will find it.

Sorry, I have a buddy that lives in Oak Harbor – west of port Clinton. If we concentrate on reefs, we dump in west 41.61443° N, 83.10284° W

If we’re island hopping, or chasing the migration back east we go out of Catawba.

As mentioned above, there is such an abundance of eyes in there and you can fish about anywhere and any way you want. Just pay attention to water clarity and winds. If a river is puking mud and you have a north wind, relocate

phoyem
    Minneapolis

it seem pretty easy for us last year; we went the last weekend in April and trolled cranks out of put in bay. Sometimes you’d catch a fish every 15 minutes; a lull in the action might be 45 minutes with no fish. All were 20-28”.

I’m just so used to having to do everything perfect to get a walleye. This certainly wasn’t the case. My brother threw down a gaudy salmon spoon and within 20 min got a 24 inch fish. One day it was windy and we started trolling 400 yards from our launch and caught a fish immediately. Dialing in depth didn’t seem to matter too. Some lures near the bottom; some halfway up and everything in between. Can’t wait to get back sometime

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Don’t the winds dictate when you can fish Erie? Heard if its windy you can not get out.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Don’t the winds dictate when you can fish Erie? Heard if its windy you can not get out.

True! As stated multiple times above – watch the weather. Had trips that we only fished 1 or 2 days out of 5

Jay Tegeder

I’m headed to Erie for the first time ever. Be there 09 APR to 16 APR. Was wondering if anyone would be willing to share any info or tips for me. Also, If anyone was going during this period if they would be willing to share info while we are there. Lures, depth, areas. Any help would be appreciated.

How did you do? Hope you caught a bunch.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I got my ears on too!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I think they are out there this week. The wind forecast for their original dates looked bad, so they postponed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.