First time shooting suppressed

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Neat. .556 was the least affected. It really tamed the .308. And the clear winner was the subsonic 300 blackout. We shot that a few times at the cabin it was so tame. I would like to try one with a .22

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Yes sub sonic 22 ammo is relly cool. Sounds like a pellet gun. Makes alot more noise when it hits the water.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Its very cool. Makes you realize how crazy the regs are on suppressors.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

The regs are made by people that call them “silencers”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They sure are. It took my buddy a very long time to get the stamp. It’s just a tool that can help our hearing. I see no reason how they make a gun deadlier. Just ridiculous.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>

They sure are. It took my buddy a very long time to get the stamp. It’s just a tool that can help our hearing. I see no reason how they make a gun deadlier. Just ridiculous.

The ones making the rules have watched to many movies and believe the sound the movie puts in.

Reef W

Hiram Maxim named them silencers in 1902 and the NFA regulation is from 1934. I guess movies did have sound for a few years by that time though lol

grpubl7
    Central WI

Once upon a time I had one of the original Hiram cans. It was specific to a 22 RF and the bore was offset (not right down the middle). I will state right here and now that it was as quiet (muzzle signature) as the very best cans made today and at any price.

The rifle that I have had since the middle 80’s is a Rem 541S that AWC fitted their “Ultra” suppressor to. The barrel is ported so that the velocity of CCI Mini-mags is 900-950fps. From the bags, the rifle will shoot inside of a 25 cent piece at 50yds. Plenty good enough.

DO NOT try this at home: I stood next to the target (10yds away) as a friend fired at it from 50yds. He was a 2-time Natl Service Rifle Agg champ and I trusted him to break good shots unerringly.

As he fired the rifle, I could hear ZERO noise from the muzzle whatsoever. Not the slightest hint of sound at all. In the last 10-20yds the bullet traveled before it hit paper, I could hear a “ziiip” through the air and it was definitely the projectile. When I would take the rifle squirrel hunting, the loudest sounds were the click of the firing pin and the impact of the projectile on the squirrel’s nutcracker.

When I first got the rifle, I tested velocity, grouping and power at both 50 & 100 yards. Even at 900-950fps, that 40gr solid would go straight through a pine 2X4 at 100 yards…every time. It is by far and away the most fired rifle of any that I have ever owned. A lot of 100rd packs of CCI Mini-Mags have gone down that barrel. Gotta be upwards of 20,000 rounds. Maybe 30,000….

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I went grouse hunting a week ago in northern MN and the guys in the camp did a little shoot ’em up session for the Saturday, post-lunch itinerary. A couple of the guys had suppressors on 5.56, 300 Blackout, 9mm carbine, and 22LR, and I just giggled at the “uncover your ears” warnings.

I must add one or two to my stable. Too, too, too much fun!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.