First time on the river

• bennyboy4252

Well this weekend I fished pepin for the very first time in a boat(ice fished there before not in the boat) and I wasn’t sure what to expect.. Fished Inland lakes for my entire life.
    Went out pretty much all day Saturday launche north of lake city and fished a couple of points both trolling and jigging and caught a ton of fish! Just not what we were going for…. That’s right I swear I personally caught over 20 sheep head along with a couple small walleye and one 14″ sauger. I swear I caught one on everything.. Jigging with both crawlers and leaches, trolling with live bait and with cranks too..

Was able to go this mornin and did the same exact things and both my brother and I caught our limit of eaters, using the same lures and the same presentations. Mostly using cranks at about 12-14 feet of water. Tried to stay at just under 3 mph.
    Nothing that was really picture worthy, but hey that’s a heck of a day in my book! Plus I only caught one sheepshead!

All in all I’d say it was a very successful weekend especially for the first time out on the river

I mean I know there are a lot of rough fish in the river but te curiousity is killing me. Any tips to cut down on the sheepshead consistently?

Appreciate any tips if anyone’s got any

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

No tips on the sheepie, but man that’s a nice weekend you put together!! Not many can tackle the river and be successful at it the first time, nice.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Catching fish is always fun. Sounds like a great weekend.

bennyboy4252

Just did what I’ve done on inland lakes. Troll with cranks and rigs until I find them and jig for a bit once I do and if they aren’t liking it I go back to trolling.

Caught most of the eyes on a dt crankbait that if I’m not mistaken is mostly used for bass?? All I have ever used it for anyway. Was expecting to maybe snag a smally or somethin along the rocky shore but it was a nice little surprise to start bringin in walleye

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.