First Pig of the Season

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

My buddies goal this year was to catch his first 30 lb. flathead. I’d say that goal was met and surpassed. This pig was bouncing the scale right around the 50-51 lb. mark in the net so I’m guessing 45-48ish. A true toad any way you look at it. Fun times.

Attachments:
    1. Copy.jpg

2. use.jpg

hillhiker
    SE MN

Very nice! I have the boat loaded, and 3 dozen suckers in the tank for the weekend. I figure you have to take advantage of the nice weather. If all goes as planned I’ll be out for the whole weekend other than stopping back to the landing for bait and a nap. Hopefully I can find a monster like that for myself!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice one Dirk!! What did he say when he saw the size of that cat next to the boat? )

bigpike

What a tanker, congratulations on a very nice fish!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Wow nice fish!

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Nice one Dirk!! What did he say when he saw the size of that cat next to the boat? )

Holy %^%$ comes to mind. We were fishing a snag and I told him not to give an inch to the fish – so he was freaking. I’m getting older – so I’m glad I started bringing a net along. No more jaw grabbing in the water for me…. It took both of us to lift her out of the water. woot Biggest fish in my boat in quite awhile.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good to hear it!

Yes, there’s a need to lift the net straight up vertical. Lifting it horizontally will bend the net. I learned the hard way. doah

Gary Mount

Any good spots around Rochester mn for big cats ?

tight_lines
    SE Minnesota

Awesome fish! Just getting started chasing those myself and have had a 28 32 and 34 in the boat so far… will keep trying! I’ve only caught 2 or 3 while fishing for eyes. Hope to get out 2-3 more times in the next 6 weeks but can’t get to the river often enough! Thanks for the picture!

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Nope, unless the Mississippi near Winona is close enough for you. That’s your big cat water.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Lake zumbro has cats, so does chesterwoods. 15 pounds might be possible? Plenty of giant river monsters in the Sippi.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.