First Ice, Fact or Fiction?

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Full disclosure I love Ice Fishing, it ranks right up there with Spring Jig fishing and bowhunting as my favorite past times. However, I am not a first ice angler. I don’t walk out with a life jacket and spud. I don’t own any equipment designed for pulling myself out of freezing water. For me ice fishing starts a week or two (or three if need be) after first ice when you can take a truck out, and even then I’m not going until there are tracks going out AND coming in from another truck or it’s on a resort maintained road. It’s not that I’m scared of falling through, I just always err on the side of not falling through.

With that said I wonder if First Ice fishing is significantly better? To me it seems like it isn’t. I mean if the bite was THAT good, guys would be flooding the same area’s with boats prior to ice up, right? Or if there were some magic to a lake being ice covered it would be just as good a week or two later, right? Or in a slow developing ice year, does a first ice bite (if there is such a thing) vanish along with the ice as it comes and goes?

Like I said I love ice fishing, but don’t understand the rush to be first on something so risky. The #1 goal of any outdoors adventure should be to return home at the end of it, so just a reminder to stay safe. And post your reports, I’ll be heading out in a couple weeks! I look forward to responses, and learning something new!

As far as walleye go, I see it as fact. I try and get my fill of icing walleye before trucks can make it out. I’ve never been let down so far.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Ahh Ya early ice. Think about all the noise under the ice with 100 people drilling holes and moving around. Now think about early ice, just you and the fish nothing to scare them off. I only fish early ice, soon as the trucks come out its over for me. Just my 2 cents

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Ahh Ya early ice. Think about all the noise under the ice with 100 people drilling holes and moving around. Now think about early ice, just you and the fish nothing to scare them off. I only fish early ice, soon as the trucks come out its over for me. Just my 2 cents

Agreed 100%, the noise of trucks driving, people drilling holes, all the traffic moves the fish to deeper water and shuts the bite down. Have seen it a thousand times

Bass_attack

I dont really think there is anything unsafe about walking out with 4 inchs of ice. I think it is better because of less pressure. Puts a frown on my face when the trucks come out.

Walleye Hungry

1st ice (and last ice, 10in or less) is way better and its not even close…fish all my top small lakes within the time the ice is less than 10 inches (sometimes less if the wheelers are out in full force) and than switch to mille lacs or leech only because its too many people around otherwise. But then again i only fish for walleyes so i may be biased.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

bigcrappie wrote:
    Agreed 100%, the noise of trucks driving, people drilling holes, all the traffic moves the fish to deeper water and shuts the bite down. Have seen it a thousand times

I assume you mean shallow water? I could see that. However, there is also anecdotal evidence (this one time…) from LOW/Red etc that fish still bite shallow when heavy traffic is coming through. But your logic still implies that fish know the difference between trucks/augers and boats, which is questionable imo.

@Derek
    I also primarily fish walleye, but more so on big lakes. There are certainly times when the bite slows down throughout the year, but the best walleye fishing I’ve ever had was in mid-January.

I could see the advantage in having your pick of spots, and heavy heavy traffic turning smaller lakes off too.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Most guys put their boats away AS the best time arrives. coffee

zooks

A few things to unpack:

1) I like early ice for all species but want to be smart about it as well. Have fished on ~3″ before and was safe but unnerving to say the least. I know a guy that goes really early and one year, while taking a leak, peed a hole through the ice between his feet – that’s asking for trouble. Spud bar, life vest, ice picks are a must for me until ice is a consistent 8″.

2) Regarding good fishing before ice-up, gotta remember a couple things: weather is often poor before ice-up, not much fun boating in those conditions. People also get heavy into hunting the month or so before ice up, so they’re busy with other stuff instead of fishing.

3) Water temps and oxygen levels right after ice up will be as high as they will be for 3-4 months, until the thaw starts. That equals higher metabolism and thus more aggressive feeding patterns.

4) Agree with others about noise/fishing pressure. Because of #2, those fish haven’t been targeted in 2-3 weeks or more, makes easier biters.

Hope this helps, good luck.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Not that your afraid of falling thru the ice????? If you ever loose that fear it’s time to stay off the ice. Joel Nelson outdoors just had a segment about ice suites, very good read.I used to be the guy people waited for the first ice blessing and I would always emphsize not to just go off my report but check for themselves. Your making it back off safe is your responsibility no one else’s with maybe the exception a guide is taking you out.

As far as the bite, ya it’s better.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Not that your afraid of falling thru the ice??

Maybe I didn’t do a good job of explaining, but I was trying to say I don’t have a phobia of falling thru the ice, as in that is not the reason I don’t fish early ice.

But the point of the post was to find out why people think early ice is better? @Zooks that is good info, and I generally agree with most of it. However, all fall we are waiting for cooler water temps…until ice up when the fish turn on because it’s warmer than it will be in the future? I’ll have to think on that a little further…

big_g
    Isle, MN

My rules, I walk out when ATV’s are on it.. I drive my ATV when Trucks are on it… I drive my truck on it, when the big plows are on it.

404 ERROR
    MN

First ice is always the best, like stated by Zooks. Metabolism is high as it will be with ice-cover and most fish haven’t seen a line in weeks. I’m not one to brag about how thin of ice I walk on, but I can say that I really enjoy it and have already walked on ice this winter.

sktrwx2200

Im with you BIG WERM..

I dont really get it.. Risk your life at the first sign of walk-able ice with open water near by.. same guy sits at home on the couch 3 weeks prior watching the 10 day hoping for sub zero weather. Was last week open water fishing was just as good as it is today with 3″ of new ice. Yes. Probably better actually because you can cover alot more water in a boat.

I think peoples “great first ice bite” is because most of the fish haven’t seen a lure in 2 months.

Not mad it you are trying it out.. just wont catch me ever tip-toeing around on 2-3″ .

Right now out here in SD they are trying to recover the bodies of 2 duck hunters from a couple days ago… their recovery efforts are being hampered by folks trying to “get out on first ice”. frown

Sam Brickley
    Tip of Lake Superior

For many species first ice doesn’t matter as much. As far as walleyes go around my area there is a huge rush to get out as soon as possible. I agree that the walleye fishing gets better all fall and the through ice up. When the ice comes over however, the metabolism slows down considerably and for how we like to fish (using a more active style) it means less fish. With that said im sure we could consistently put numbers of walleye on the ice using slower techniques like slip bobbers and minnows all through the year except under arctic blast conditions. Its just not our thing. We spend three or four good weeks chasing the walleyes before we move on to other species. Im a believer that temp above all else will effect the fish, not so much noise. (If noise were a factor how would we catch fish on the fourth of July with speedboats ripping around all day?) Coming from Northern Minnesota if a cold front comes in we wont even bother with walleyes.
    For those of you looking to walk out as soon as tomorrow like myself if i find some ice please be safe in doing so. Wear your life jacket. Bring your spud and picks. Tie a rope around your torso and let it drag behind you when going from hole to hole. A friend can use that to help you without getting close to you as to put themself in danger. (and you cant just bring a rope to throw because a person who has fallen through the ice will not have to dexterity to hold on to it.)
    All in all good luck and be safe i hope to see pictures of gorgeous fish soon from The Ice.

zooks

Metabolism is high as it will be with ice-cover and most fish haven’t seen a line in weeks.

Was last week open water fishing was just as good as it is today with 3″ of new ice. Yes. Probably better actually because you can cover alot more water in a boat.

I think peoples “great first ice bite” is because most of the fish haven’t seen a lure in 2 months.

This is the point I was mostly trying to make. Fall feeding binge carries through early ice IMO until that first big cold snap after Jan 1, then after that fish metabolism slows down and bite gets tougher until there’s more sunlight, melt water, and oxygen back into the system in late Feb.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Early ice is the real deal. And reading ice is a science. I feel qualified and Im always on first ice.

Fishing was likely better weeks ago, but it’s easy to enjoy a hot night/dawn/dusk bite fishing on the ice. Pitching HJs @night while freezing in a boat is only slightly more fun than it sounds, not something I’ll do daily for long stretches of time. The best opportunity to bend a short rod is right now.

smash yay toast santa peace waytogo woot

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

My rules, I walk out when ATV’s are on it.. I drive my ATV when Trucks are on it… I drive my truck on it, when the big plows are on it.

Pretty much for me, the same, and I think too what BigWerm is practicing. Possibly you may have a hotter bite first ice however I have had my best ice fishing in January and February/March as far as action and quality fish. Throughout the ice season, there are so many factors that can determine the success (or lack thereof) on a given day. Sunny, cloudy, high/low air pressure, remaining weeds, currents, forage movements, etc. I know for many, they feel confident enough to tip toe out on first ice. I know as they say “no ice is safe ice” I just want to reduce my chance of being the one that goes through. I can wait awhile!

mike mulhern

Having been through the ice three times in my life. I can add one quick piece of advice kick your boots off if they are pac boots as quick as you can if you can they are anchors and wear your legs out quickly, I leave the very early ice to the young people.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

what Big G says –
    Don’t get me wrong, I love being first. Just don’t want to be first at falling thru the ice.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I think it is better because of less pressure. Puts a frown on my face when the trucks come out.

This is how I feel too. Then I spend the rest of the winter jumping to spots where trucks can’t get to.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

big_g wrote:

Pretty much for me, the same, and I think too what BigWerm is practicing.

Yup, winter is plenty long enough for me to get my fix. I also totally get the point of fishing with less pressure. Maybe I am a little spoiled, like Phil, by having hundreds of lakes nearby the cabin that get little or no fishing pressure in the winter, which is another reason not to rush out on early ice for me.

Justin Phillips
    Bloomer, WI

In my experiences it is better, especially for walleyes. There is one lake I fish in particular where you nail giant walleyes all December and then it is over. You still get some the rest of the winter but far fewer with way more work put in. For sure you have to be smart about early ice though, coming from someone who three years ago went through and is lucky to be here today. Had about 4 inches of good ice everywhere I fished all morning and let over confidence bite me when I went back that afternoon, hit a bad spot and in I went (left the spud and safety vest in the car) thankfully I brought the ice picks or I can 100 percent say I would not be here today. Needless to say, valuable lessons were learned, mainly not to be overconfident of early ice conditions. You’ll still find me out there early ice every year, just alot smarter about it now.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

After further contemplation regarding this topic, I believe age and expectations are also a factor. When younger, I had far more energy to drag gear out and walk greater distances. Although I still walk out with portables occasionally, far less so now that I am in my late 50’s.
    Obviously I like to catch fish, many, and bigger the better…but my enjoyment now has shifted. Over the past several years I have come to truly enjoy the sleeper house experience. Fishing in my pajamas all day (and night), cooking up Spam and eggs, chili in the afternoon…provides as much or more of a enjoyable fishing experience even though I may catch fewer fish.
    Point being, sleeper houses aren’t out first ice!

tim hurley

I agree with that guy who said I walk when the ATVs are out, etc.
    Fishing in Nov. is cold because you are not walking or not in a warm house.
    Fish may want a bait this time of year right on their nose which can be hard with the gales of November…AND on the ice you get two lines, odds are doubled.
    I do not go very early, I go to a lake I know well. Just like mother nature to give you the best opportunities when the conditions are the most unsafe:first and last ice.

Nick Meyer

First ice is one of the better times of year to go because it’s the last ditch effort for the Fish to feed before their bodies slow down and become deprived of oxygen. I also think that the bait fish slow down before the game fish and they take advantage of this. Fish know their habitats jus like we do and they know when seasons are changing jus like we do. Gotta be there to know, can’t catch from the couch!! Tightlines and happy fishin!

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I wonder if it’s more of a fishing pressure thing than anything. I can’t imagine there’s a significant difference between a 33 deg liquid surface and a 32 deg ice surface with respect to fish activity transitioning from late fall to early ice. Once into Post Xmas you may start seeing the full cold temp affects on metabolism (Jan/Feb). As winter progresses you potentially could add O2 depletion to reduce fish activity.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Gotta be there to know, can’t catch from the couch!!

Sure you can, if you have a couch in your sleeper or wheelhouse!
    And also I get the slowing metabolism and “fishy” activity diminishing as the season progresses, but I have experienced hot and heavy action (fish catching BTW) later in the season. So on any given day…?

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

For me, I use early ice (4″+) as my time to fish some of the smaller local lakes. I catch more walleyes in the first couple weeks on those waters than I do if I fished them after the zoo of vehicles get out. With that said, when that time rolls around, I then make my way up to the Big Pond and enjoy my time in the hard house catchin fish, playin cards, and enjoying my favorite cocktail!! toast

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.