First boat – anther question or 2.

• Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I live on a lake that has some activity but not a ton like I have seen other places. BUT there are 4 Taverns on the lake (Wisconsin you know). We have had a Resort for the last 61 years. I have seen lots of people over the years leave everything including rods, tackle and electronics in the boat. We have never had anything stolen. But there is always a first time.

If you park your boat at the dock over night or all summer, do you take your electronics off and lock them up? How easy is it to remove the Helix 7 or 9? Is there a way to lock it on?

Where do you keep a landing net? Stand it up in a holder to hit while casting or hit it trying to land the biggest Walleye of your life? OR do you lay it on the floor to stumble over? There must be a better way.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I might leave my stuff in the boat if I come in during the day, but not overnight. But then again it’s about how costly your equipment is. It’s not to different to remove your depth finders if you use Ram ball joint mounts.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I take my electronics but leave rods in.

Great question on the landing net. I fish out of a pontoon and before I make my first cast I lay the landing net in arms reach. ALWAYS! I don’t want to miss that lifetime fish.

tim hurley

Buy a solar flashlight, buy some strong velcro. Gorilla glue (or any stronge waterproof glue) one end of the velcro at the top end of the motor well at the stern (not sure what that spot is called) or anyplace out of the way but still getting solar energy. Solar flashlights are cheap waterproof and they float! If you do this you will have a flashlight that is so accesible and easy to find in the dark! Mine is on year 5 w/o a battery change, my partner can grab it easily. Its dark, your tired, its buggy, do you want to dig in gear to find a flashlight, heck no! My 2 cents.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Takes a minute to take a graph off. Thieves know that too. Also put a padlock on your TM mount. Lots of people don’t do it and the fellow I bought my boat from didn’t. Takes 20 seconds to loosen the nut and slide off your $2000 motor. He found out the hard way.
    I have yet to find a good place for the net but it’s at arms reach before I wet a line.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Duplicate post. See below

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I bought my parents a set of these locks for their electronics. They travel for tournaments and leave their electronics on over night with these (along with their travel cover). If you order 2 or more at the same time they are keyed alike.

I’ve seen pro bass anglers use them too while their rig was parked in the lot unattended so they must be pretty durable.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Thanks for the information. I figured it wasn’t hard to remove the electronics. The loc is a good idea. I will lock up the trolling motor.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Sounds like you’re giving to have some nice stuff. Personally, I’d take electronics off at night. All it takes is once to be really sorry that you didn’t.

Ethan Poltrack
    Hudson valley New York

In mean most stuff is weather protected but it would be wise to take them with you or at least lock them in a cabinet.

No reason why you can’t have one on each side but that is also nice with fishing with friends and family making it a team effort.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

My landing net goes into the mount at the rear of the boat that was designed to hold the ski pylon. it’s standing up, within reach of anyone in the cockpit, but still out of the way. It’s perfect.

On my last boat I put a mount in front of the passenger console to hold the net vertically.

Tim Reynolds

id look at some water based paint sealer for up to 6 months worth of protection. put it once before the season and you’re set. my buddy in ohio did it and said he ll do it every year now.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

id look at some water based paint sealer for up to 6 months worth of protection. put it once before the season and you’re set. my buddy in ohio did it and said he ll do it every year now.

Umm what?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.