Fire ban

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Have a trip planned to rainy August 26. Any thoughts on if the fire ban will be lifted by then? I know we have gotten a few storms down here this week. Not sure about up there. We are staying at an island front country site. Will be kind of a bummer with no campfires

deertracker

Does the ban include camp fires or is it just a ban on open (permitted) fires?
    DT

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I just got home from Burntside in Ely and we were allowed campfires. I think open fires are still banned. It rained there last night which is good.
    I was on a houseboat trip in VNP a couple weeks ago and campfires were still banned.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Usually camp fires are allowed I think unless it’s at the highest danger???

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Taken from the site

Voyageurs National Park has implemented temporary restrictions on all campfires including charcoal grills and barbecues effective immediately until further notice. This restriction is implemented park-wide, and includes day-use, houseboat, tent, and backcountry sites, even if a designated metal fire ring is onsite. Camp stoves may continue to be used at this time

bigpike

That’s awful nice of them to allow you to use a cook stove!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Just got back from the BWCA with no campfires. It was a bit of a bummer. Basically just played some games in the tents and went to bed after the sun went down.

Would have been nice to imbibe and BS around the fire after the kids went to bed, but I understand.

deertracker

My son was just in Montana for a week hiking. Most of the food they brought required a camp fire to cook. Their ban included camp fires. They had to go to the store and buy a propane cooker.
    DT

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I just got home from Burntside in Ely and we were allowed campfires. I think open fires are still banned. It rained there last night which is good.
    I was on a houseboat trip in VNP a couple weeks ago and campfires were still banned.

A little slice of Heaven on earth right there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

New drought monitor out today. I think the fire bans will be in effect for a while. We now have the worst category of drought possible in some portions of the state. Apparently its the first time in since the drought monitor has existed that any portion of Minnesota has seen the category of Exceptional Drought. Yikes

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?MN

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

crappie,
    I talked to a Park Ranger on our trip to Namakan the last week of July. He said not to expect the fire and charcoal grill ban to be lifted the rest of the summer in Voyageurs. I was supposed to be back up on Namakan for 5 days next week, but the guy who planned it decided to cancel it.
    We had to go out and buy a cheap portable propane grill for our last trip, so we could at least go that route for cooking. The island we camped on is usually loaded with blueberries the end of July, but everything was dried up and brown. We managed just enough tiny ones to do pancakes one morning.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.