Finicky Fooler vs. I Fish Pro 2.0?

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Good reminder.

It would appear that the “flag” mechanism is identical between the FF Tip-up and the FF Hooksetter. I wonder how difficult it would be to remove (and replace as needed/desired) the “hook setting” feature to modify the FF to comply with the applicable laws for the location at hand.
    Use as a hooksetter where legal. Use as a tip up where the hooksetter is not legal.

I know they have adapter kits to covert a regular FF into a hooksetter. All it takes to convert it the other way is use the standard FF rod holder. There’s a little mechanism at the front of the FF that hooks the rod tip. You don’t have to use it and it will work like a regular FF.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I use the FF in the fish house when we rent a sleeper at LOTW. It acts as a rod holder and you don’t have to look 3’ below the house to see if a bobber is down.

grizzlyhackle
    Montana

I’ve been on the fence on grabbing a couple FF – what species of fish do these work well for? I’m guessing pike annd walleye are the big ones…. and anything that you would normally use a tip up for? Does anyone use them for perch?

I love jawjackers and run those for trout and they work decent for perch when they are hammering, but have been thinking about other options for the lighter bites.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well, thanks everyone.

I think this is the only time I’ve literally seen 100% consensus on one thing.

I went with the Finicky Fooler and ordered his bucket combo which comes with 2 Finicky Foolers and 2 hole covers.

How much was that package

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve been on the fence on grabbing a couple FF – what species of fish do these work well for? I’m guessing pike annd walleye anre the big ones…. and anything that you would normally use a tip up for? Does anyone use them for perch?

I love jawjackers and run those for trout and they work decent for perch when they are hammering, but have been thinking about other options for the lighter bites.

Finicky will work for sunnies and crappies, perch, we do cat fish, sturgeon. Anything

Hoyt4
    NULL

Work well for all fish. We use for perch and eyes on our Devils trip. Run them for trout on a couple WI lakes I fish also.

grizzlyhackle
    Montana

Thanks guys – I added 2 FF to the arsenal…hoping they might help with the perch and walleye

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

There’s a little mechanism at the front of the FF that hooks the rod tip. You don’t have to use it and it will work like a regular FF.

I understand you don’t have to use it. The concern is, with that feature installed and you are out on the ice, the entire device is an illegal device.
    If the feature is removed (temporary or otherwise), no question, the device would be legal to have out on the ice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Biggill wrote:</div>
    There’s a little mechanism at the front of the FF that hooks the rod tip. You don’t have to use it and it will work like a regular FF.

I understand you don’t have to use it. The concern is, with that feature installed and you are out on the ice, the entire device is an illegal device.
    If the feature is removed (temporary or otherwise), no question, the device would be legal to have out on the ice.

I guess I would probably buy both styles if worried about it. I never realized they made a ” hook setter ” one as well

usmarine0352

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>usmarine0352 wrote:</div>
    Well, thanks everyone.

I think this is the only time I’ve literally seen 100% consensus on one thing.

I went with the Finicky Fooler and ordered his bucket combo which comes with 2 Finicky Foolers and 2 hole covers.

$99.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve always ran the 5 dollar fleet farm hole cover. And I think for 20 bucks I’ll continue to do so. I haven’t seen finickys but the 5 dollar ones work great

acarroline

To each their own, but I’m not sure I buy that having the hookset version, not being used, is an illegal device. Having 6 rods in your bag on the ice isn’t illegal unless you’re using them…

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

To each their own, but I’m not sure I buy that having the hookset version, not being used, is an illegal device. Having 6 rods in your bag on the ice isn’t illegal unless you’re using them…

Apples to oranges. Having extra rods in a rod bag/bucket is not that same as a rod on the ice with a line going into the water (such as would be the case with the FF Hooksetter version, regardless of how the line was threaded.

I asked an officer about my Jaw Jacker, same scenario. It is physically possible to use a Jaw Jacker without using the “hook setting” feature. (at that point it is just a rod holder)
    His reply; As long as the device has the capability to set the hook and the device is out on the ice (not in your rod bag as you describe) it is a violation of the regulations.

He may be correct or he may be wrong, I’m not going to court to find out. I just remove the entire mechanical end of the Jaw Jacker and KNOW that I’m in compliance.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s held on by a single small sheet metal screw. Comes off in 2 seconds with a Phillips head screwdriver. If you’re afraid of a verbal warning from a CO, take it off. Pretty simple.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think when the Ifishpro jumped to around $70-80 the contest was over. I still use my IFP’s but the Fooler is certainly much simpler.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Use as a hooksetter where legal. Use as a tip up where the hooksetter is not legal.

It’s held on by a single small sheet metal screw. Comes off in 2 seconds with a Phillips head screwdriver. If you’re afraid of a verbal warning from a CO, take it off. Pretty simple.

Not a question of being afraid, just no desire to go to court, or pay a fine or have it on my record. No guarantee one way or the other if an officer is going to give someone a verbal warning. Maybe the guy just before you, pissed him off or he is having a bad day.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Dave. The law states “use” of a spring loaded hook setting device. By your logic the CO having a bad day could write you a ticket for anything he wanted and you’d still have to go to court and fight it. It doesn’t make having the device connected and not in use illegal. Take it off if you’re afraid.

Aboxy17

I’ve always ran the 5 dollar fleet farm hole cover. And I think for 20 bucks I’ll continue to do so. I haven’t seen finickys but the 5 dollar ones work great

The only real difference is they have a little insert that goes on the ice first and then the cover goes on top of that to make a supposed better seal.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Dave. Take it off if you’re afraid.

You seem fixated with your assumption that I fear law enforcement. Hardly, Several close family members are in law enforcement and I value their service.

I already discussed it with an officer while
    he stopped to check my lisc. , did you miss that?
    “His reply; As long as the device has the capability to set the hook and the device is out on the ice (not in your rod bag as you describe) it is a violation of the regulations.

==========================================================================

Dave. The law states “use” of a spring loaded hook setting device. It doesn’t make having the device connected and not in use illegal.

By your logic, a silencer connected to the barrel of gun while hunting, is not “in use” until one fires a bullet thru it. Good luck with that too.

==============================================================================

Hope you have a good day. I’m done with this discussion.

FinickyFish

I can’t endorse the Finicky Fooler as it fools me too often. Sincerly FinickyFish.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Never used or seen a FF but might have to now? The ifish pro is a bit bulky but I have never had any problems catching fish with it. Rod comes out easy, flag is not broken? The only gripe I have had is that super small bites sometimes go unnoticed but that’s life?

That and the sticker isn’t on straight!

Justin Donson

I’m the odd duck that loves the Arctic Warrior. Super simple design, no clip, like $15 when they are on sale, and I can throw like 5 or 6 of them in a backpack or sled and not have to worry about them getting beat up as they are all metal.

The only downside is the velcro clip thing that attaches to the rod, but I’ve figured out that you can just have it slightly loose and turn it out of the way before setting the hook and I don’t mind it.

And the base is metal so you can like pack it into the ice with some snow/ice shavings and it won’t go anywhere. Haven’t lost a rod or even come close, and we’ve had up to 45″ pike on them! And they double as an ice chipper in a pinch if something gets frozen in lol.

I’ll just add that the Finicky Fooler hole covers are amazing! I put them to the test a couple times at -40 and they do a really nice job keeping the hole open.

AK Guy

I’ll just add that the Finicky Fooler hole covers are amazing! I put them to the test a couple times at -40 and they do a really nice job keeping the hole open.

How durable is the FF hole cover?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d say they’re durable enough that I haven’t worried about it. It’s sort of a rubberized foam. Definitely not that crumbly styrofoam you find in packaging.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

$99.
    [/quote]

Bought my self this package for Christmas lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

At least act surprised when you open it.
    [/quote]

I’ll wrap it and write Santa on it and shove it way under the tree

IceManBran

At least act surprised when you open it.

I’ll wrap it and write Santa on it and shove it way under the tree
    [/quote]

Hahahaha! “How’d this get here?!”

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.