Finicky Fooler tip up system

• Paul Anderson

Hi everyone, I recently have become a fan of the finicky Fooler tip up system! This genius idea is simple to use, easy to store and works terrific! They also pack away nicely and are compact. These in my mind are a much better product then the competitors. Anyone else have the same experience as myself?

Wardcst

Hi everyone, I recently have become a fan of the finicky Fooler tip up system! This genius idea is simple to use, easy to store and works terrific! They also pack away nicely and are compact. These in my mind are a much better product then the competitors. Anyone else have the same experience as myself?

X2
    great to use and they just plain work. Holes stay open with their cover system.
    Add blue tipz and you only go to your hole when you have a fish.

Paul Anderson

Yes those covers are great! I do lots of pike fishing and they are so much fun to reel in! I love the sound of a peeling drag🎣

Deleted

My brother in law uses them. Seems to like them. I see a lot of false trips on them tho. I’m pretty sure the were expensive. I wanna say $40 each? I don’t have to have them. Catch way more fish jigging one pole while setting the other one on a bucket next to me with a minnow doing its thing.

Wardcst

My brother in law uses them. Seems to like them. I see a lot of false trips on them tho. I’m pretty sure the were expensive. I wanna say $40 each? I don’t have to have them. Catch way more fish jigging one pole while setting the other one on a bucket next to me with a minnow doing its thing. [/quote

I do same as you with my first two lines.
    Lines 3 and 4 are always finicky fooler set away from were i am fishing in the otter.
    I have never had a false set off.
    He needs to put flag clip in the 2nd hole and adjust the o ring for tension.
    We can run 4 lines ice fishing in our state.
    Running them is a choice and I agree not for everyone.
    Cheers

Paul Anderson

They are about $26 on their site. Once accustom to the setup, the false flags go away. I mainly use mine for pike fishing instead of pulling the fish in. They also have a heavier bait arm that I use on all of my units. I am yet to have a false flag fishing with good size sucker minnows. I brought this topic up as I have all of the rod and reel style tip up units. The Finicky Fooler is my favorite and it’s funny they have not hit the large merchant stores…

tim hurley

Got mine at the ice show-like it so far, hope it can replace tip downs for crappies

Paul Anderson

If set up properly there’s no doubt in my mind you will like these much better then tip downs! If the bite is hot, get ready for some running! Best fishing to you!!

trophybucs

I’ve been using the finicky foolers since they came out and they are all I use. This tip-up with the hole covers is by far the best system I have come across. They can be set as sensitive as a tip down or crank the tension up enough to keep a 5-6 inch shiner from tripping the flag.

I thought I was experiencing a lot of false flags when I first got them while I was fishing some medium fatheads for walleye. After watching the rod tip for a while I noticed the tip bouncing slightly and the flag would trip, but no fish. So I put on a small crappie minnow and the next time the flag tripped I had a 4 inch perch on the line. The apparent false flags were small perch tripping them.

Paul Anderson

Have to love those 4 inch perch! Smart idea to bust them!!
    Good to hear your experiences!

Paul Anderson

I have one of those original foolers. It didn’t have the second hole in the flag so I drilled my own. I also replaced the O rings and now it’s current.

Cheesehead2020

Best fishing device I have used hands down. The guy who makes them lives a couple of minutes from my parents place and is a good guy as well. I wanted to get something that I could fish eyes with while using a pole, rather than jigging the whole time. I use these up on Mille Lacs and theres nothing better than catching a 25″ eye in 30′ fow. I highly recommend these to guys who don’t want to spend the money on Ifish setups, another trick I found out was that yes the hole covers do work nice but Eagle Claw makes a hole cover that does the trick as well and got mine on Black Friday for $7 each.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Looking to pick up a couple of these. Does anybody in the west or NW metro carry them?

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I have an original one and never liked it, i thought it was a pain to set and haven used it in 3 years

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I have an original one and never liked it, i thought it was a pain to set and haven used it in 3 years

How was it a pain to set?

Relative to just a hand line tip-up?

Or compared to other setups that incorporate a rod and reel?

I was looking at this version of Finicky Fooler, looks rather easy to set up and might use it year ’round.

vinella

They couldn’t be easier to use/set up

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Bought a couple foolers at the Blaine Show and tried them for the first time this weekend. Ran 2 Foolers and one older Arctic Warrior at the Jaycees.

For the most part they really are the best in class for a rod/reel with flag setup. Pro over the Arctic Warrior is a lack of extra parts needed to attach to a rod. Don’t need the parts, can’t lose the parts. I like this over the iFish Pro as well. Easier to set and more compact to transport. Pretty much a convert over to the Fooler system.

However there is one real drawback. To be as compact for storage it leaves the the end of the flag arm unprotected. Brought two out on saturday and busted one flag transporting it home.

vinella

At least they do sell replacement flags for $2.99

ozzyky
    On water

Got this guy on a fooler this weekend….was a blast on rod & reel.

Attachments:
    1. 3EB089D9-9672-4261-A520-7FB30F8CDAC3.jpeg

trophybucs

Bought a couple foolers at the Blaine Show and tried them for the first time this weekend. Ran 2 Foolers and one older Arctic Warrior at the Jaycees.

For the most part they really are the best in class for a rod/reel with flag setup. Pro over the Arctic Warrior is a lack of extra parts needed to attach to a rod. Don’t need the parts, can’t lose the parts. I like this over the iFish Pro as well. Easier to set and more compact to transport. Pretty much a convert over to the Fooler system.

However there is one real drawback. To be as compact for storage it leaves the the end of the flag arm unprotected. Brought two out on saturday and busted one flag transporting it home.

I ordered the 6 gallon bucket and a couple extra flags to have on hand just in case I accidentally broke one. I have yet to break a flag and the bucket with the lid is great for storing and transporting the finicky foolers and hole covers. Also, the taller bucket is nicer to sit on vs a 5 gallon.

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

Seems like a fly by ad with the new posters and only talking about the fooler! Prices and accessories.
    But I do have to admit I like them too!

vinella

I only get a 5% kick back from them smirk

This is a thread about the Finicky Fooler, correct? Was just posting a few things I’ve learned from using them.

Didn’t know new people finding and joining this forum was a bad thing?

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

I’m a fan. I bought two this season and have caught lots of fish on them. They are new favorite accessory.
    My only complaint is the orange flag slips off the wire pretty easily.
    I will try some super glue to see if that will make them stay put.
    Haven’t tried the hole covers yet, but plan to get some.

kayl

They’re awesome! They pack down nice and small and work great. You can easily go from using them with big suckers for pike to crappie minnows for crappies and gills. It’s super easy to adjust the tension.

CC

Best tip-up out there on the market and affordable. I picked mines up for $21. Was on superior not long ago and I was running back and forth between the flags with fish on the end!! Now these go with me everywhere I go.

CaptainMusky

I just ordered 2 with the 6 gallon bucket over the weekend. They arrived yesterday. I havent used them yet, but was doing dry runs in the house. They are super simple to setup, not sure how anyone could say they are complicated, way easier than other systems.
    The one thing I wonder about is when the flag does pop, and you go to remove the insulating foam disc, how hard is that to get out? Seems fine in the house, but outside might be a different story.
    I thought perhaps a slight mod might be good with a piece of rope through a hole to grab and that would pop it up.
    I will use it first before doing anything, but that is one observation with just unboxing it.
    The nice thing about getting the 6 gallon bucket is that the flags get protected if you pack it correctly because there is plenty of room.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I just ordered 2 with the 6 gallon bucket over the weekend. They arrived yesterday.

Just curious, how long did it take for your order to arrive?

*Edit…I see now you ordered over the weekend.

I’m thinking about this package. For $20 more I like that you could use them for bank fishing during open water.

Attachments:
    1. FFooler.jpg

Reed Moormeier
    Chaska, MN

Just go one this year and really love it, super simple and compact like the OP mentioned. easy to set various levels of tension works for panfish on up, looking forward to trying it on lakers.

Cheesehead2020

The one thing I wonder about is when the flag does pop, and you go to remove the insulating foam disc, how hard is that to get out? Seems fine in the house, but outside might be a different story.

CaptainMusky- I have been using the foolers for about 3 or 4 seasons now and one thing I can say is that rather than pulling the flag disc, I typically set the hook with the disc in then remove it once I have the fish on. I personally don’t use the foam discs but just use tip up hole covers since they fold up easier and are cheaper on Black Friday, but I never seemed to have an issue setting the hook with the hole covers still covering the hole.

jld
    Holmen

Count me as sold to. Ordered a couple from their site and received in a couple of days. Spent last Friday catching one perch after another on it. Sportsman Journal TV show did an episode a few weeks back with the company owner promoting the Foolers.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.