Finally in the 300" Club

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My Success actually comes with a very heavy heart. On the day I took my bull, I learned Sharon lost her husband Billy. To the entire family, I sincerely hope you are all able to find peace and share in the wonderful attributes that Billy brought to each and every one of your lives.

So finally, I was blessed with the opportunity the have Ulysses walk up and sniff me at about 40 yards. It was my second day I’m sitting on a small Bluff watching a small saddle and an aspen groves that I suspected big bulls we’re sneaking through to get to bedding areas.

We have 30 to 50 mile an hour winds and blowing snow. Some of the most miserable conditions to sit all day. Fortunately, I was able to identify their feeding preference, and was sitting in the perfect place.

At 7:30 in the morning, Ulysses came into a couple of cow calls and snuck through a small saddle directly behind me. As he stood in the Deadfall, I could see the mass of his brow tines and his eye guards. Through the tree limbs I could see the outline of his rack and a broken view of his times. I had no doubt this bull was the 300 plus inch bull I had been waiting for.
    325 to 350 inch Bulls are not trophy status by Boone and Crockett, but they are to me. Hunting National Forest in Colorado, self-guided, and hundred percent do it myself makes this bull, Ulysses, a bull of my dreams. I have seen larger bulls and photographed many of them throughout the years. But when it comes time the put the crosshairs on them, circumstances have not always worked out in my favor. So considering Colorado has a success rate of 20 to 25%, I think I’ve done very well with a simple goal to put a mature bull in glass Within 500 yards each year.
    I haven’t aged Ulysses, or had his rack scored yet. My best guess is a rough score around 3:30 the 340. But most impressive was finding all the battle wounds this bull has endured. He had been shot with a Broadhead that entered his neck. It missed his throat, arteries, an optical nerves. It traveled into his navel cavity and partially exited his skull.
    From fighting, he had an eye gouged out, multiple holes in his cape, puncture wounds in his rib cage and hindquarters. He was heavily infected, and most likely would have never survived this winter. While field dressing, we saw multiple ribs broken, and a half dozen ribs that had previously been broken and were partially healed up.
    I can only dream and imagine what the other bulls may look like that this bowl have fought with. Knowing the incredible strength and endurance these elk have, one would think that the other bull would be of equal or larger size. I sure wish I could have been a spectator for that boxing match.
    I need to extend a special thank you to the people that are crazy enough to hunt with me. Crystal, Don, Paul, Jessie, Larry, PJ, and Justin. The ethics we share, and the persistence to pursue makes hunting with you guys one of the greatest experiences a hunter could have. Thank you

Attachments:
    1. 20191105_124200.jpg

2. 33774.jpeg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Few pics

Attachments:
    1. 20191105_165540.jpg

2. 20191105_171305.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Few more pics

Attachments:
    1. 20191102_170014.jpg

2. 20191102_172053_001.jpg

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Wow what a great bull, congratulations!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Almost like one of Jesus’ parables, a majestic elk…and an honorable and highly respected young man.

The time comes when an earthly life transcends to a spirit that we believe still lives on.

That we pay tribute to, even after death. Admiration, respect…memories that we carry with us.

Thanks for sharing this Randy.

May the legends (and loved one’s) live on in our hearts.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Congrats on a beautiful Bull Randy! Looks like some pretty thick timber you found him in! Amazing what some of those bigger bulls endure throughout their lifetimes. Some of that elk country is downright NASTY. For curiosity sakes, have you taken the majority of your bulls posted up along bedding areas/travel routes like you’d hunt a deer around here OR by glassing and shooting long distance/stalking the animal?

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Awesome bull Randy! Thank you for always sharing your awesome adventures with us.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Congrats on getting your trophy! And thanks for sharing the story. Just awesome.

S.R.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

For curiosity sakes, have you taken the majority of your bulls posted up along bedding areas/travel routes like you’d hunt a deer around here OR by glassing and shooting long distance/stalking the animal?

Tough question to give a sgort answer.
    I hunt two co.ompletely different areas. North central CO is a lot of spot, stalk, and sit on their possible route. Our other secrt spot is all sitting, all day, everyday. Its so dense and nearly NO visiblity. We know ridge they bed on, and keying on where they feed. We also hunt units with low population densities.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I hate voice recognition crap. Seeing all the typos is hilarious

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Congrats on a rewarding hunt and thanks for sharing your experience, very interesting all the scars you found on him

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That’s one beautiful critter Randy. Congrats on the kill!. Any idea of its age?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

That’s one beautiful critter Randy. Congrats on the kill!. Any idea of its age?

Tom I am completely guessing at 6 to 7 years old

Nice Fella

Congratulations on the trophy and thanks for sharing the story as well.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Awesome story and bull Randy! Congrats!

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Congrats!

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Nicely Done Randy! Congratulations!!

Iowaboy1

fantastic story and bull you have their Randy !
    I was going to voice type this but bull and story could of turned into something else ha ha.
    great to talk to you on the way home the other day,such a shame that an emergency prevented you stopping by my home and finally getting to meet one another.

the battle scars that ole boy carried with him shows how tough they truly are.
    Mrs.Iowaboys first deer had a chunk of aluminum arrow shaft about six inches long with the broad head still attached buried in its neck and was completely scarred over,how it was able to move without continually re-opening the wound again is beyond me.

pass0047
    Pool4

Nice bull and story. Congrats on your success

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Great bull Randy Congrats! Your story is a great read. Keep it up. waytogo waytogo

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.