Finally got a Blackstone

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

36″ Seasoning it today. My wife and I are excited to use it this summer. Love to hear some Blackstone stories. Do you like it? Question-do I need to oil the bottom to protect from rust?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ain’t a better smell then bacon cooking on a black stone.
    I love mine, it’s versatile.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

Ain’t a better smell then bacon cooking on a black stone.
    I love mine, it’s versatile.

Or Spam!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0388-scaled.jpeg

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Had Polish Sausage Stir Fry the other day. YUM

ajw

Love the blackstone. Steaks are great on it, of course breakfast, Smash burgers, and ya gotta google smash tacos! Outstanding!

We invite friends and family over and do Mongolian grill or hibachi type meals as well

Coletrain27

Always keep it oiled so it don’t rust. Basically treat it like you would a cast iron pan. When I’m done I scrap mine off and wipe it down and make sure it’s oiled before I put it away. I like to make teriyaki chicken stir fry’s on mine

Attachments:
    1. 4A4BCC45-C826-4132-B588-E0F41DAB71EA-scaled.jpeg

ThunderLund78

You’ll never grill burgers again, Suzuki! Love it for al kinds of stuff but burgers are the most frequent item we make. Love putting the bacon down first, moving it to the side where it’s just on warm and then putting the hand-pattied burgers down in the bacon grease. then saute shrooms or whatever else you can think of right next to them, not to mention toasting your buns all right there all at the same time.

Other things we’ve done:
    Immitation Chipotle Chicken for tacos/burritos/bowls
    Fried Rice
    Stir Fry
    Philly Steak Sandwiches
    Breakfast (go nuts here- eggs, pancakes, omelettes, hash)
    Steaks (gotta do the butter/herb basting – almost impossible on a grill because of flame up)

Follow “The Hungry Hussey” on YouTube – he’s made a living on making Blackstone videos and his recipes are awesome.

riverbassman

When seasoning use LIGHT coats of oil. Heat up to smoke point and cool down a bit and reapply light coating of oil. Do this about 4-5 times and then cook bacon on it, get tons of grease going. After that you are good.
    Smash burgers are my go to. You will find nothing makes bacon, eggs or essentially anything taste better than a well seasoned Blackstone!

picklerick
    Central WI

Welcome to the club. Between Hungry Hussey and Todd Toven you’ll learn to cook about anything on a Blackstone. I’ve had a 28″ up at our camper for a few years now. Almost nothing gets cooked inside anymore. Since it’s sitting outside year round I oiled up the bottom of mine after the first year. If it didn’t splatter grease all over I’d have it up on the covered deck. I just have the canvas cover and use a couple of old pot lids and a piece of 2×4 to keep the fabric off the metal when it gets wet.

Got a 36″ for home as winter began last year. Did eight coats of seasoning with avocado oil, then a pack of bacon and smash burgers. I bought a hard cover and the canvas one for it and covered it for the winter. When I took the cover off a couple weeks ago there were 3-4 burger shaped spots showing oxidation. I cursed and oiled the heck out of them trying to rub the rust out but it still had some color so I put the cover back on. Might have to start over. I think the advice to cool it down in between coats is correct. That’s how you’re supposed to season a cast iron pan.

catnip
    south metro

I didn’t oil the bottom of mine but I think I should have and might still do it if I get motivated.

Gitchi Gummi

anyone have any experience with the little two burner 22″ ones? other than the smaller size, are they any good and comparable to the bigger units (quality wise)? I’d like to get one but have no interest in the bigger grill sized ones but could see myself utilizing the smaller tabletop version.

ThunderLund78

The grease spattering thing is one thing to take note of if you want it on a nice deck. Mine’s currently in the garage but will be moving it out to our new composite deck soon. I’m going to look for some type of mat or outdoor rug to go underneath it. You will get a fair amount of grease spattering in a pattern around it. If you had a wood deck you’d DEFINITELY want something under it.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

anyone have any experience with the little two burner 22″ ones? other than the smaller size, are they any good and comparable to the bigger units (quality wise)? I’d like to get one but have no interest in the bigger grill sized ones but could see myself utilizing the smaller tabletop version.

We have a 22″ and love it. I have no experience using the larger ones so I can’t offer a comparison. I have used a 16″ knockoff at a resort. It was one burner and only cooked in the small area right above the burner.

stevenoak

I have the 22″ and like it. Small but has 2 burners for separate temps. Plenty big for a couple like us or a small family. Thought it would be a little lighter to throw in the truck. With a bad back I do it half at a time.
    If I could add 2 questions. Do you leave yours outside, covered/uncovered how does it hold up as far as rusting.
    Second. My swill can overflowed on my smoker in a heavy rain on my concrete patio. I’ve tried everything I can think of to remove the stain with no luck.

Coletrain27

I’ve tried everything I can think of to remove the stain with no luck.

degreaser wont take it off?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have the 22″ and like it. Small but has 2 burners for separate temps. Plenty big for a couple like us or a small family. Thought it would be a little lighter to throw in the truck. With a bad back I do it half at a time.
    If I could add 2 questions. Do you leave yours outside, covered/uncovered how does it hold up as far as rusting.
    Second. My swill can overflowed on my smoker in a heavy rain on my concrete patio. I’ve tried everything I can think of to remove the stain with no luck.

There are many oil removers for concrete.
    Depending on the area size, Colgate toothpast and a hard bristle brush scrub scrub scrub, followed by soaking blue dawn dish soap on it and pressure wash it off. If that works which it does on lighter stains. My dirt bike dripped oil all over my side walk and that removed it all.
    Otherwise the products just get more expensive

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

ive long been curious about these and thought about getting one but i keep coming back to this question – whats the difference between a blackstone and the cast iron griddle i have?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

ive long been curious about these and thought about getting one but i keep coming back to this question – whats the difference between a blackstone and the cast iron griddle i have?

^Branding, marketing, the “cool” factor, and so on.

My biggest hold up to getting one is that I do not have a place I want to keep it with the footprint of the house.

I don’t want to leave it in the garage as yet another thing to move around beyond the grill. I don’t have a traditional deck, but rather an elevated screened in porch that serves more as a lounge area with a firepit, TV, furniture.

Coletrain27

nothing different but my blackstone is the 17″ small one so its portable and can take it places easily. also i can through it on the truck tailgate and make smash burgers or whatever outside without smoking and stinking up the house. there are at least a dozen companies now making griddles like the blackstone. i see weber now is making one

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I picked up a used one from Haleysgold last year and have it assembled in the garage. Have yet to season it or use it. I thought I was going to really get into it and haven’t yet. Mine is the 28 inch. I guess I need to give it a shot soon or put it up in the classifieds again.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My buddy brought a 22″ ice fishing on LOW and it was awesome. Used it for all of our meals, so basically no dishes to clean. Sets up nice on the tailgate, and then he has a stand for it at home. This is the one I plan on getting so I can bring it wherever. I’ve used the 36″ one and they are great too, but rarely need the extra space and the mobility of the smaller one is nice.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

are they pretty easy to keep clean?

Coletrain27

Yes very easy. I use a heavy duty metal scrapper when I’m done and wipe It down with a rag then apply some oil to it

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Seems like the only issue for keeping clean are seasoning it well, and grease management (ie cleaning the grease trap, and oiling it after use). Pretty much just scrape em clean, if really bad you can use a brush/pad, and then re-oil/season. Far easier than a cast iron griddle or pan imo.

ThunderLund78

Yeah, I treat mine like a big cast iron pan. Scrape it (if even needed) and I can usually just wipe down with a dry cloth now. as long as all food chunks are off, I just oil it and cover. I’ll use a wet cloth if I need to but NEVER soap.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Broke her in tonight with smash burgers. Ooooooooh doggy, this is gonna be fun!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.