FINALLY a plan comes together…Slender Spoon mixed bag.

• reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

With limited time and resources, when I get out I really like to catch a few but still haven’t outgrown my weakness for exploring new water and following up hunches, quite often to my own regret. Still, every now and then one of them pays off nicely and I wind up feeling like I know what I’m doing. Last weekend, after a frustrating ice season so far, was just one of those times where it all fell together. A certain lake with an certain mid-lake bar that I’ve never-and I mean never-seen anyone fish had been bugging me for two years. Usually, there’s a reason that you don’t see anyone fishing a piece of structure, especially on a known and somewhat pressured lake; but again sometimes you just have to see for yourself. It was a half mile walk out and a day spent exposed to the wind and sleet/snow without much cover so I could travel light(see: half mile walk); at the end of the day I was soaked and cold and pretty sure I frostbit a couple of digits, but grinning from ear to ear. A mixed bag of crappie and perch, with a couple of bonus ‘eyes that bit well, but made me work just enough to keep it interesting. An 1/8″ gold/green stripe Slender Spoon accounted for all but one perch on a tip-up-even the gills ate it. In the down time between bites I tried everything else, but it finally came down to waiting out the slow windows and hole hopping with the Slender Spoon. I’m fairly new to the spoons, but I’m in love! When the bite was on, it was a blast watching the red marks on the Vex coming rocketing up to meet the spoon on the way down. For me at least, was a glorious day on the ice. Can’t wait to go back!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1506.jpg

2. IMG_1504.jpg

3. IMG_1505.jpg

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

Way to go Rev. spoons are fun when they bite like that. I tip mine with Chena bait

matt

Nice catch!I bought 1 slender spoon and it took me awhile to get any eyes on it but it brings them in to the setline.I have been eyeing up a piece of structure just like that for a month now.Now that the followers have made it on the lakes and like to show up and drill holes rite at primetime Im going to be taking a longer walk.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Awesome job!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

The followers just about have the freedom of the truck very soon… but taking care to kick holes full and leaving no trash often times allows them to be left alone… Shoreline spots and followers are inevitable, tracks make followers, but there are followers in boats too…

Fine job Rev!!!

Mark

Bryan Myers

That looks like a great day on the day on the ice and a ton of fun. There’s no better reward on the ice than when a plan comes together and you get good fish topside.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

The followers just about have the freedom of the truck very soon… but taking care to kick holes full and leaving no trash often times allows them to be left alone… Shoreline spots and followers are inevitable, tracks make followers, but there are followers in boats too…

Fine job Rev!!!

Mark

Thanks Mark! 5″ of track covering new snow the next day don’t hurt a bit.
    Sitting down in W/Central Illinois visiting family…no snow, no ice down here, and not enough time to hitch a boat ride for some Mississippi walleye, so can’t wait to get back home to some ice!
    Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.