Duck and goose recipes

• Ries
    Eau Claire, WI

New to the hunting side of IDO!
    So I went out twice this weekend for my first ever duck hunts.
    Managed to get some woodies and a bonus goose.
    I breasted them out… but now what?
    What are everyone’s favorite ways to cook duck and goose breasts?
    Thanks Guys!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Welcome to the hunting side!! I don’t have any great recipes for you but I’m sure someone will.

Here is an old thread. Goose Recipe

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

This is one my wife and I use for geese, if you didn’t know it was goose you’d probably think it was beef. It is basically like pulled beef/pork.

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 small yellow onion, sliced
    1 goose breast
    1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 cups chicken broth

Melt butter in a large saucepan and saute garlic and onion. Add goose breast and brown on both sides.
    Place goose breast in slow cooker and add Worcestershire sauce. Add chicken broth to cover and cook on High setting for 6 to 8 hours, or until meat falls apart. Shred with a fork and mix with your favorite barbecue sauce.

The recipe above is for 1 breast but we usually do 6-8 at a time since the wife has a big crock pot. Then we freeze it in 1 pound vacuum sealed pack so they thaw quick in water and you have a great meal of bbq goose sandwiches.

This recipe doesn’t work as well with duck but if you do want to try it with duck you need to cut the cook time down significantly or it gets pretty mushy. Goose is a grainier meat so it works really good with goose breasts.

Another option for duck/goose….and my absolute favorite way is:
    Cut the breasts in to 1″ thick strips probably 2″ long.
    Marinate in your favorite flavor over night.
    Wrap in thick cut bacon stick a toothpick through it and grill them until the bacon is done.

If you like some giddyup in your food….get some jalapenos and cut them in half take out the seeds, lay a strip of cream cheese in the hollowed out half of the jalapeno, lay the strip of duck/goose on(cut the meat in 1″ thick strips and length to match the jalapenos you have otherwise all the cream cheese will melt out), then wrap the whole thing in thick cut bacon stick a toothpick or 2 through it and grill until the bacon looks done. Goose/duck poppers….like eating candy.

Make sure to soak the toothpics in water probably 20-30 minutes before using them other wise they may burn completely away when grilling.
    Using thick cut bacon is important because the thin stuff doesn’t hold together very well and gets done/burns too quick.
    If you get jalapenos make sure they are nice and fresh and not over ripe otherwise the skins can be kind of tough when grilled.

Since duck/goose is red meat it doesn’t have to be done through and is actually FAR better if it isn’t done completely through when grilling it. It stays more moist and tender so when the bacon looks done take them off the grill and enjoy!

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I like the wood ducks grilled to medium rare with just a little garlic pepper and the goose is great to make swiss steak.
    put goose in crock pot with a can of beefy mushroom soup and a can of diced tomatoes.
    Add fresh sliced button mushrooms onions and green peppers let cook till tender (I start it on low before I leave work in morning and its good by supper) before serving take out some juice and mix in corn starch to thinken to a gravy then put back in over the goose and veggies. Its great with mashed potatoes. This is also a great recipe for deer meat!

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Here is my favorite way to cook ducks and geese

1 cup olive oil
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
    3 tbl prepared mustard
    2 tsp pepper
    2 clove garlic smashed
    1 bottle terriyaki

Cut duck or goose breasts in halves or thick strips
    marinate in glass bowl for several hours in fridge or over night.
    grill meat to medium rare
    never cook over medium rare. I have mixed shovlers and hoodies in with mallards and never heard a complaint.

Mwal

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

We were lucky enough to down some geese during the early season. Found a great recipe with the all magical beer as the main ingredient. Two cans of beer, 1/4 c worcestershire,(or soy sauce,) garlic salt, fresh clove garlic, pepper, tsp. paprika, tsp.meat tenderizer and a smidge of olive oil. Take the breast and tenderize the living hell out of it with a good meat mallet. If you think its good enough then hit it a few more time making the fillet 1/4in. thick or thinner. Marinade for at least two hrs. but the longer the better IMO. Grill just a few minutes per side ,serve immediately. Do not over cook, char like you would a beef steak. Of course u can use any marinade you like but the tenderizing is the most important. Some of them honkers can be a little leathery to say the least…..enjoy, I know my boys and I sure like it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.