canned venison

• Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I’m looking to change it up this year. What do you guys use in addition to the meat? What seasonings, salts, fats, or veggies do you guys add?

coppertop
    Central MN

I’ll hafta get our receipe from my parents. I’ll post it here for you tomorrow.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

We don’t add anything until we eat it. Then we add gravy mix and onions and some mushrooms. Can’t beat that stuff.

coppertop
    Central MN

Sorry MrJ. I’ll get it this week. Pretty sure it’s just onions. Then the liquid id thickened w/cornstarch after heated. I will say it look nasty in a mason jar but tastes sooo good!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I made up 24 pints and a few quarts this weekend. I mixed it and made some plain, garlic, onion, Seasoned salt. I think I will get a little more creative the next go round. Anyone ever use brown sugar to sweeten’ it up? I glazed a pork loin last night and threw it in the slow cooker when the thought hit me. I was already done canning….

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Just throw some beef tallow and a bullion cube in each jar.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

My girlfriend and I have not yet canned venison but use brown sugar in almost every marinade. You only need a tablespoon or so but it tastes great and mixes well with almost everything else you might put in.

woodenfrog
    se mn

“Just throw some beef tallow and a bullion cube in each jar.” x2

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

We use the dry onion soup packets and mix it with warm water according to directions until dissolved, pack jars loosely, add a chunk of beef tallow and put the onion soup in to ring at the top of the jar.

Ed

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

1 clove garlic, 1/3 cup of onion, and a tablespoon of catsup with a little water per quart

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

I use some lard to brown in roaster in oven and little salt and pepper till I open the jars to cook

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

I use some lard to brown in roaster in oven and little salt and pepper till I open the jars to cook some I do put Tate’s and carrots with onions in them like a beef stew and it turns out great also

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.