Good grouse recipes?

• Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

30 days to go on the opener…who’s got some real good recipes for grouse?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Remove the feathers… remove the lead… remove the head… throw whole thing in the garbage and cook a chicken Just kidding I would imagine any pheasant recipe would work well. We throw pheasants in a crock pot all day, covered with some cream of mushroom soup… yummy !!!

sootie
    arcadia wi,

beer batter strips in hot oil

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I typically breast mine out and then put them in a casserole with wild rice in the oven with some mushrooms and some red wine, or in a crock pot in a light gravy and serve over noodles or wild rice.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Everything is good with bacon.

Marinate over night, wrap in bacon and grill…

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Remove the feathers… remove the lead… remove the head… throw whole thing in the garbage and cook a chicken Just kidding

You forgot to say stick a beer can up the chicken’s butt.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Quote:

Quote:

Remove the feathers… remove the lead… remove the head… throw whole thing in the garbage and cook a chicken Just kidding

You forgot to say stick a beer can up the chicken’s butt.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You guys are killing me even joking about one of the best eeating wild birds around. Once the meat is fileted off breast you can do anything with it. I generaly dust it and brown in pan then finish in oven in a sauce. My favorite sauce is either cream of mushroom or cream of chicken mixed with white wine. I have also chunked it, coated and deep fried it exactly like fish and it is excellent.

whittsend

Quote:

You guys are killing me even joking about one of the best eeating wild birds around. Once the meat is fileted off breast you can do anything with it. I generaly dust it and brown in pan then finish in oven in a sauce. My favorite sauce is either cream of mushroom or cream of chicken mixed with white wine. I have also chunked it, coated and deep fried it exactly like fish and it is excellent.

x2 … Grouse is amazing.

I also like pounding the breast meat flat, dipping in egg, coating with ritz cracker crumbs, and pan frying in butter until done, but not over-cooked. fantastic!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Having never eaten a Mn grouse, would you liken the meat “color” to a pheasant? The grouse we shot in SD were a very, very dark meat. Canada goose like. It wasn’t for me.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Kooty, I’m assuming the grouse you shot in SD are Sharptails. Shot a bunch growing up in ND also. I’m guessing the grouse they are talking about are the ruffed grouse. I’m with you, the Sharptail are horrible but the ruffs I have shot in MN are alot lighter color meat and taste 10 times better.

whittsend

Yes.. Ruffed grouse. Meat is not dark. Delicious!

kooty
    Keymaster

Yup, we shot Sharptail and Prairie Chickens. Cool birds, but terrible table fair.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I wont even shoot sharpies or spruce grouse anymore. Terrible table fare. Have you shot huns Kooty? I would say ruffies are very similar except for size. I should add that I generaly cook mature birds a little different than young ones. The young ones are more tender and easier to get it right.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

x2 … Grouse is amazing.

I also like pounding the breast meat flat, dipping in egg, coating with ritz cracker crumbs, and pan frying in butter until done, but not over-cooked. fantastic!

I’m gonna try that! Sounds like the perfect recipe for mature birds.

kooty
    Keymaster

Nope, never shot any huns. Back in the day, we had a lot of hungarian partridge, I think they are basically the same thing. Very good table fair. Also very pretty birds. Lately the winters have just been too hard on them. Dad has a small flock at his place. We don’t let anyone shoot them in the hopes they will multiply.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Have you shot huns Kooty?

Not sure if I understood, but you are both talking about the same bird, right, at least I think you are???

Mark

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hun(s) = hungarian Partridge

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.