Favorite way to eat musky.

• Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I started a thread about if musky was spelled musky or muskie. It quickly turned into a thread about how to eat musky so I decided to make a new topic actually about that. Personally, I don’t like to eat much besides the cheeks, so I just use those and use the rest as fertilizer.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Years ago, they actually did harvest muskies regularly. The fabled Leech Lake massecre had black and white photos of hundreds of large muskies hanging from poles that were intended to be consumed. In all seriousousness, I’m sure there’s probably not a big difference between a large pike and a muskie in terms of taste. Full of mercury and bones and probably tougher than nails. I can’t confirm that, as I’ve never consumed either one. Maybe someone will chime in that can confirm it.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Years ago, they actually did harvest muskies regularly. The fabled Leech Lake massecre had black and white photos of hundreds of large <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskies hanging from poles that were intended to be consumed. In all seriousousness, I’m sure there’s probably not a big difference between a large pike and a muskie in terms of taste. Full of mercury and bones and probably tougher than nails. I can’t confirm that, as I’ve never consumed either one. Maybe someone will chime in that can confirm it.

A friend of mine accidentially speared one when he was younger because he thought it was a pike, he said it tasted exactly the same. His poop might have been glowing that night though.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Gimruis –
    I have this hanging at the cabin. I always loved this pic as a kid, I found it online and had it printed on canvas.

Attachments:
    1. Muskyies.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Gimruis –
    I have this hanging at the cabin. I always loved this pic as a kid, I found it <nobr style=”font-size: inherit”>online</nobr> and had it printed on canvas.

i’ve read articles about that leech lake massacre………..interesting to say the least. like a perfect storm!!!!!!!!!!!

pretty sure the Muskie INC people wont appreciate this thread!!!!!!! lol!!!!!

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

All jokes aside, largemouth bass are actually delicious. I don’t know why people don’t eat them more.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

We had some guests from Arkansas to the cabin last summer that were bass fisherman.
    He caught one and said this is a good eater. shock
    So I ate my 1st large mouth bass. I didn’t really like it. Kind of soft.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gimruis –
    I have this hanging at the cabin. I always loved this pic as a kid, I found it online and had it printed on canvas.

Yes, that is the one I was talking about! Good find

Deuces

I was gifted a musky last winter. Native side of the family. Stunk up the truck horribly for weeks after, slime got on carpet in back. Just for that reason alone I’ll never want another one.

Muscle was quite mushy which surprised me, but it tasted delicious. Better than northern, which is still good stuff.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

You spelled muskie wrong. When you filet them, make sure to get all the way to the very end of the tail, lots of good meat there.
    roll

Cool picture and story for sure on the “Leech Lake Rampage.” One thing to keep in mind is that those fish were actually caught over a relatively long period of time, and pulled out of the cooler or whatnot for a pic. I’ve got a similar pic up in my man cave of a lineup of giant northern pike speared in northern Wisconsin. It’s distasteful by the conservation sensibilities of today but cool and impressive when viewed in the context of it’s time.
    And I bet that catch rate on Leech has been exceeded many times over since then during the early summer and early fall shallow water bites, it’s just with the fish being released you don’t get to see this kind of dramatic picture anymore…

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

We had some guests from Arkansas to the cabin last summer that were <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass fisherman.
    He caught one and said this is a good eater. shock
    So I ate my 1st large mouth bass. I didn’t really like it. Kind of soft.

They get kind of soft in warmer water- cold water is key

Mr. Derek
    NULL

I don’t know why you guys are messing around with bass and muskies. I just buy walleye in the spring from a guy by Mille Lacs, usually has a pickup box full of them. devil

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

“Muscle was quite mushy which surprised me,”
    With a large fish like musky you have to kill it( Ike-Jime ) right away then bleed it out right away in ice water. Dont want that lactic acid to build up in the meat

onestout
    Hudson, WI

All fish are better when pulled from the ice. I like my musky boiled in 7up and dipped in melted butter.

Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

A local guy is an pretty fair muskie stick and probably catches upwards of 50 every year on the metro lakes. Whenever the inevitable happens he cleans and freezes them, then bakes them for Christmas dinner.

I guess at least they’re not wasted, but I always think about the possible “glow” effect.

WS

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

FAVORITE WAY TO EAT MUSKY?

Naked with your mom.

Timmy

Naked with your mom.

And Suzuki for the win…….

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Naked with your mom.

And Suzuki for the win…….

X2 waytogo

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Naked with your mom.

I’m not sure I want to eat anything naked with “MY” Mom, but to each their own Mikski. coffee

Lund4Life

It’s beginning to sound a lot like Facebook in here lol.

But in all seriousness, I prefer to eat my muskie with a side of walleye caviar.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Loon with musky stuffing!!!!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Loon with musky stuffing!!!!

Musk-eye-oon (loon stuffed inside of a walleye stuffed inside of a musky). Just make sure the walleye is big enough!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Pickled.
    In the late 80’s I went to a school in WI that was right on the Flambeau river. Lots of smallish muskies and I think the minimum was only 32″ or 34″ back then.
    There were a couple older guys that used to pickle them. I traded some spring run suckers for a couple jars and it wasn’t bad, no different than pike.
    Not something that would probably go over too well these days tho.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I’ve eaten every muskie I’ve ever caught whistling

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I just fillet and release.

sji

I was gifted a musky last winter. Native side of the family. Stunk up the truck horribly for weeks after, slime got on carpet in back. Just for that reason alone I’ll never want another one.

Muscle was quite mushy which surprised me, but it tasted delicious. Better than northern, which is still good stuff.

Are you sure that wasn’t lutefisk?

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I’ve tried them all muskie, bass both largemouth and smallmouth. They all taste same as bald eagle. Baby Loons much better.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Back in the early 2000s I worked at a now defunct resort on Leech on the docks, cleaning fish, etc. There was an old timer, family said he was 88 and was his last year coming to the resort. He brought his own motor and rented a resort boat to put it on. Each day he would come get 4 large suckers, have me help him into the boat, and then he’d motor off and and be gone all day.

The last day he comes back just beaming and has what has to be at least a 20lb muskie on the stringer. He can’t even lift the thing out of the boat. He asked me to clean it, and the mess it made in the fish cleaning shack was epic. It bled like a pig, but I figured he was proud of it and had earned it. So I cleaned it, packed it, and stamped it for him to take home. I really hope he enjoyed it, but I wouldn’t have eaten that thing with someone else’s mouth!

The Y bones on that one were easy as pie to get out )

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Muskie goes great with some bald eagle breast wrapped in bacon as appetizer’s.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.