Favorite Venison Processors

• Nodakk

I am sure most of us have some trimmings freshly packed into the freezer from your deer this year. Figured it would be a good idea to see everyone’s favorites for where and what when it comes to venison processing.

I have tried multiple places across the north metro and my favorites are below.

– Venison bacon from Center Cut Meats in Rogers
    – Maple, blueberry, wild rice sausage links also from Center Cuts
    – Spicy pepperoni summer sausage from Big Steer Meats

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have taken deer to Grand Champion Meats in Foley, MN and it turned out very good. I especially like the pepper jack sticks.

Brad Dimond

Nilssen’s IGA in Clear Lake WI makes great summer sausage and sticks. I haven’t had their venison bacon but intend to try it in the future.
    A little out of the way for me from the south Metro but worth the trip.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Thielens in Pierz is great!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I like plantenbergs in Richmond.

Breagelmans in Richmond make some good stuff too!!

I’ve had stuff from Thielens also and pretty good stuff also waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I could never wrap my head around paying to have some one process my venison. I shoot it, butcher, and make my own sausage, jerky , and brats. Its so easy. If you pay some one you should really re think it.
    Hardly worth the hunt if you pay every one to do the work after

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I could never wrap my head around paying to have some one process my venison. I shoot it, butcher, and make my own sausage, jerky , and brats. Its so easy. If you pay some one you should really re think it.

I hear ya,now that I’m retired I’d love to do it all myself, but until I help someone with that experience,I ain’t screwing up any venison.

LabDaddy1

I mean, I get it to an extent, but some people just don’t wanna do that themselves for various reasons. Plain and simple.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

We tried it ourselves a few years ago, it was God Awful! Spices, anyone can buy them. It’s the timing and experience that you need. But Bearcat, I understand what you’re saying.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I agree with this as well with a small exception. Doing a little bit a research via google or YouTube for the correct meat to fat ratios and how to blend/mix things together correctly. Having the right equipment that makes this process easier and less frustrating for the user is crucial. To get the equipment needed may be an investment with up front/start up cost but as long as you have quality equipment and take care of it you should get years of service out of it and have a much bigger pay back. And typically getting the right equipment doesn’t cost more than a year or 2 of bringing a deer in.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The primary reason I occasionally bring a deer in to be processed is the temperature. When we get warm temps, I don’t have the time to get it processed quick enough and I don’t have a big walk in cooler to hang it either. Normally isn’t an issue but it seems like deer season is gradually getting warmer and warmer on average.

Justin riegel

I do everything myself besides make the sausages and sticks. I would do it myself but spending 500 on an adequate grinder, more on A vertical smoker and a couple hu dred on a sausage stuffer. Bringing in a few pounds of trim at this point in life makes more sense.

I tried bakkens in Stancfield last year and liked their stuff. Trying Diamond Js in Cambridge this year because it is closeer to home.

Nodakk

I would like to do it more myself and will be in the future but this year, I’m taking trimmings in. I do like trying different places and tasting their take on summer sausage, etc.

Brad Dimond

Petty Brothers in Annandale makes good sausage. They are only taking whole deer at this time, will take boneless venison for processing 01/01/2022-04/15/2022.

To an extent I understand the reluctance of some to take meat to a processor. In addition to the investment in equipment, spices, supplies, etc., many of us don’t have the time to do the processing ourselves.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Thielens in Pierz is great!

x2 their Hot Dogs and Polish are unmatched in my experience. I’ve processed deer myself, and made my own sausage and it’s no where near as good as Thielen’s. Even my friends who have been doing it for years with professional grade equipment, they make a good product, but Thielen’s is great and it’s not close imo. Plus I’d rather spend my fall/early winter weekends doing something other than processing meat.

ThunderLund78

Krenik’s in Lonsdale – especially their Jalepno/Cheddar Brats! One of the few places left in my area that will take full carcass as well.

Someone said temperature is the main reason to bring in and I agree – I do my own sausage making for the most part (and REALLY enjoy it), but on warm years like this, I’ll gladly pay to have someone skin, butcher, debone and grind.

We always get a good amount of Jalepeno/Cheddar brats from Krenik’s because they’re so good, and then the rest straight ground so we can make our own stuff as well.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hometown meats in Inver Grove all-star sticks. Best I have had.
    Their brats were the worst.
    Jalapeno cheese summer sausage at Von Hansons is incredible. I forgot how good it is when buddy brought some to fishing opener this year. I cant wait to take some venison there for more.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.