Favorite monofiliment line

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have been using trilene sensation and suffix siege for years, anything better out there? Looking for 5 or 6 #.

mojogunter

I run suffix siege and elite. I haven’t found anything better to switch to, and I get a discount on suffix so that helps.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I like 4 and 6 pound Trilene XL. I’ve used it for many, many years without any complaint while fishing crappies, panfish and river walleye. I get some quite large junk fish too and really have not had any issues landing them when they come along.

Line really gets to be a personal thing and just like using plastics or certain baits you’ll fish better with any line you have confidence in.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Suffix elite and siege.I have been using since it came out and see no reason to switch.I used trilene before that and would go back to it if suffix was discontinued.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I don’t usually run mono, but when I do it’s trilene xl.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks guys, kinda my experience too, was just checking, pretty much just run mono on bobber rods because of the slip knots, but when you have bobber rods for the entire family, ends up being a lot of mono, any tricks to slip bobber fishing with braid? Or not worth the hassle?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I would say not worth the hassle personally.

fishingchallenged

I’ve been experimenting with braided for jigging to see if I can feel the fish better. I’ll know by the end of the season. Bobber fishing I would definitely stick with mono. Sufix Elite has been my favorite.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Anything is better then trilene peace

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Berkeley Sensithin or whatever it’s called now.

Reef W

I use Sufix Elite for leaders, that’s the only mono I use since all my rods have braid on them.

any tricks to slip bobber fishing with braid? Or not worth the hassle?

I use the string style stops and it works fine on regular 10lb Power Pro.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks guys, I might try a few different ways and decide once and for all what I like better.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

I have become a big fan of P-Line CX Fluorocarbon coated mono. 8# test is very strong and is the same diameter as most name brand 6# test lines.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Try Zo Zuri Hybrid copolymer line. It’s a much better alternative to mono in terms of knot-tying, stretch, and breaking strength.

It’s actually far stronger than it’s rated breaking strength, so compensate for that. For example, if you want a 6# line, try 4# Hybrid.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Sensation was the best up until the last 3 spools failed me from different stores. Very dissappointed.

Switched to braid this year.

Sensation is a copolymer fwiw.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You don’t really want a line that sinks for bobber fishing. Braid and floro both sink. Mono floats.

Submerged line between your reel and the bobber inhibits your ability to set the hook properly.

munchy
    NULL

For bobbers you want a line that floats, if it sinks you’ll be fighting it on the hookset. Most Mono and superlines float, fluorocarbon does not. You’d probably have to experiment with the copolymers as I imagine some do and don’t float.

But for my mono I use Sufix Elite.

*Edit* Looks like bigill beat me to the punch.

nord

Nothing but Pline CX Premium for me. In my opinion, it’s the best of the best.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

What characteristics do you want it to have? In today’s market there is a line made for virtually every application. Hard to say “favorite” when it’s more of favorite for what.

The three that covers the majority of my mono needs
    YO-ZURI hybrid
    Cajun red
    YO-ZURI leader

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I want it to behave on the reel and not get too coily to soon, abrasion resistance so the slip knots don’t damage the line and most importantly look good and catch more fish.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I want it to behave on the reel and not get too coily to soon, abrasion resistance so the slip knots don’t damage the line and most importantly look good and catch more fish.

Yozuri hybrid

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I will check it out, I’ve never tried any yozuri line before. Can’t hurt. Thanks again everyone.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

P-Line Floroclear for me

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Fluoro is the worst for bobber fishing and bottom fishing with bait.

404 ERROR
    MN

Sensation! Been using it for almost 10 years now and I love it.

I just spooled two reels up with Siege 8lb and was nervous it would be too stiff, seems good so far and it casts ok for me. I can see it becoming an issue once it gets cold, but it’s some seriously strong stuff.

zooks

GAMMA Polyflex (purple box) has been my favorite line for the last 10 years or so, 4lb test for eyes and 2lb test for panfish. I also use their ESP Ice copoly line, really wish they made a 3lb test line in that model because the 2lb , while quite strong and durable, is very fine and can be tough for knot tying. I order direct through their website, shipping is fast.

I also use Sufix Elite and Siege and Trilene XL and XT plus Stren is fine in a pinch. Trilene XL is still the best bobber line out there for eyes and panfish IMO but for overall performance, I prefer to use GAMMA. Hope this helps, good luck.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t use mono for anything but my slip bobber rod and then it’s 6lb trilene XL. I feel it’s light enough for panfish yet strong enough to handle the random big fish. Pulled a hefty common carp out of lake Nokomis recently while bobber fishing from the shore. I fish braid for all other applications so it felt like pulling up a tank on a rubber band to me, but the line did fine.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I only use mono for trolling cankbaits… 10 pound XT trilene… for my slip bobber rigs I spool with 4 pound power pro and use sinker stops for bobber stops with a bead above the bobber. I normally bobber for perch and crappie and it is nice to have the extra feel from the power pro… especially for the crappie. The rubber stops cast better and rarely move on me.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.