Favorite dry batter

• B-man

Crappie it’s not really about getting moisture out (when it comes to the batter), it’s more about having the dry batter turning itself into a sticky wet batter before frying.

The texture and crunch is just like chicken fingers from a restaurant or store when doing it that way.

If you drop “dry” dry battered fish into oil, half of it falls off in your oil and it’s a totally different consistency.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Old timer I knew that lived in International Falls (Cheez-it/peanut oil guy) always let his breaded fish sit on the counter 1/2 hour before frying – “So the breading does fall off”. I miss that guy.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Briggs Best Batter is now my go to….

catmando
    wis

Chef Roberts. The best I have found. DK.

disco bobber

I picked this up at Cashwise and have taken a liking to it. Slightly crunchy and a mild flavor.

Attachments:
    1. 1FDB81E4-C102-44DC-AD07-58CF5632E217-scaled.jpeg

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Chef Roberts with a little panko bread crumbs. The butcher in the Pequot Lakes SuperValu is one of the Chef Roberts owners. Beer batter is good every 5th fish fry.

Ty Kennedy

It doesn’t get any better than Catch and Cook for me. It’s very versatile and doesn’t need a speck of extra seasoning to make it good.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It doesn’t get any better than Catch and Cook for me. It’s very versatile and doesn’t need a speck of extra seasoning to make it good.

I would like to try that but my god is it expensive! Its $11.99 vs everyone else around $2.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI
    Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

On our trip last week to Rainy Lake Canada, we were introduced to Killer Krumbs. Made in Kenora. Not sure of availability in the states, but it does look like there may be some online ordering options. Nice light crispy coating with a great flavor. Would have it again for sure.

big_g
    Isle, MN

On my recent trip to Canada… a guy did shore lunch cajun and original mixed 50/50… kind of a northern redneck flavor !! (not a fan of hot) I loved it !!! might even go to 40% cajun and 60% regular to tone down a little more. waytogo

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Chef Roberts with a little panko bread crumbs. The butcher in the Pequot Lakes SuperValu is one of the Chef Roberts owners. Beer batter is good every 5th fish fry.

On my recent trip to Canada… a guy did shore lunch cajun and original mixed 50/50… kind of a northern redneck flavor !! (not a fan of hot) I loved it !!! might even go to 40% cajun and 60% regular to tone down a little more. waytogo

I just used the chef Roberts on Sunday. Half original and half cajun, very good

CaptainMusky

Chef Roberts is my favorite! Found it about a decade ago and that is all I use now. Shore lunch SUCKS in comparison. They come out crispy full of moisture and just great tasting with Chef Roberts. I have converted all my buddies to it.

ThunderLund78

Love Chef Roberts but can’t find the Cajun anywhere near me. The plain is great, too, I’ll just add some cajun seasoning – OR I could do the marinade in Franks Redhot beforehand and then dredge in Chef Roberts.

Chef Craigers is the same concept (dry powdered egg in the mix) and is equally as good!

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Late in Life I officially found out I am allergic to wheat. I miss all the flour based coatings however Zatarain’s is corn based and basically is the only one I have found to not bother me (break out in hives). I like the southern style and as well my fishing buddies have embraced my issue and have no problem cooking all of our fish with it. It’s definitely not my favorite but if I want fried fish. I need to experiment with enhancing it somewhat, maybe more garlic and chili powder.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Dots didn’t impress me much, but I just ordered Louisiana Blue bag from Amazon.
    I gotta mess of crappie i’ll be cookin up on the 4th.

I need to impress the Belle! Might need to fry some okra and grits also. wink

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve recently been turned on to Pork Rind Panko. It’s very tasty, crispy, and diabetic/keto friendly. The ingredients are literally pork rinds and salt. Dip in beaten eggs, bag shake, and fry in oil.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Dots didn’t impress me much, but I just ordered Louisiana Blue bag from Amazon.

I need to impress the Belle! Might need to fry some okra and grits also. wink

sure hope it doesn’t turn out like last the time you played with fire!! devil devil waytogo

Awe come on, someone was going to!!

CaptainMusky

Chef Roberts can be hard to find for sure. Generally Coborns carries it and I think maybe even Walmart. I heard the guy who runs the meat market in the Pequot grocery store is the guy behind the mix.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dots is awful, so salty. My go to is just Cajun shore lunch. It’s not spicy really, even my 7 year old loves it. I do doctor it up with some black pepper, garlic powder. I really tried liking dots, but the batter sucks.

riverbassman

Try regular shore lunch with some Cayenne Pepper in it. Gives it a little “kick” without getting too hot.
    I have tried alot and always go back to the plain old Shore Lunch. No egg wash or milk, just damp fillets and breading.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Chef Roberts can be hard to find for sure. Generally Coborns carries it and I think maybe even Walmart. I heard the guy who runs the meat market in the Pequot grocery store is the guy behind the mix.

I just bought from them direct. Got regular and cajun. Looking forward to trying them. Thanks for the tip!

CaptainMusky

I havent tried their cajun, but the regular and lemon pepper are both fantastic. Report back on the Cajun Im sure its good too.

Mike m

. I’ve done this also and relly liked it

Deuces

I branch out and try others and keep coming back to Sturdiwheat. Have only been able to find it at the festival foods in Brooklyn Park, dam it’s good everytime

backlash
    Owatonna MN

Panfish lite by North woods for me.

JEREMY
    BP

Nobody likes Frying Magic?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Awe come on, someone was going to!!
    [/quote]

I deserved that. doah rotflol

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

but I just ordered Louisiana Blue bag from Amazon.

You will like the Louisiana Blue that is my go to. Might have to try the Chef Roberts though.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Andy’s cajon!!!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.