Favorite dry batter

• Mike m

Ok , I know most of us have a favorite already , Including me , but have recently tried this twice , and its become a family favorite. I just add a little lemon pepper and it has great flavor. Anyone care to share their favorite?

Attachments:
    1. 193A298D-245D-44AE-97D7-AEF6F5F2D6B8-scaled.jpeg

2. 5FAB365B-CE88-4ACD-93BE-0ED5A1646E39-scaled.jpeg

3. B97A67DE-D771-4AB4-A36D-3772566C70F0-scaled.jpeg

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I can say I never tried that brand but love there pretzels. I like andy’s and louisiana. Do not care for any of the shorelunch types.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Spicy Doritos ground with a rolling pin.

buck-slayer

Good way to get rid of stail crackers or pretzels is putting them in blender and making your own. Like the cornmeal shore lunch.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Ok , I know most of us have a favorite already , Including me , but have recently tried this twice , and its become a family favorite. I just add a little lemon pepper and it has great flavor. Anyone care to share their favorite?

Those look awesome!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I like seasoned flour, egg wash, then Panko. Gonna have to try the Dots though.

B-man

My favorite so far for fish toast

Bread the fish dry, let the breading absorb until most of it looks wet before dropping in hot oil. Cook well done to release moisture and have a crispy outcome.

For a little extra kick soak the fish in some hot sauce for 5 minutes before dry breading.

It’s like eating boneless chicken fingers lol

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220405-212952.png

Gitchi Gummi

+1 on the crushed up dots. Used them in a pinch in the bwca 2 years ago and its now one of my favorites.

Another good one is a 50/50 mix of shore lunch and crushed up ritz crackers

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Louisiana Blue Bag is my go, to been using it for years, have not found anyone who did not like it.

Pitter patter

Whisker seeker tackle makes excellent breading. It’s our new favorite.

Nodakk

Andy’s has been my favorite. Fleet farm used to stock a Northwoods Cajun batter that was awesome for beer batter.

ThunderLund78

The Dots mix is really good – and Dot is one rich lady after selling to Nestle.

When I’m in more of crunchy cornmeal kind of mood, Andy’s Red is my go-to

And Chef Craig (or Craigers?), who I’ve seen post on here before, makes a great mix that has powdered egg in it. Essentially if you’re a guy who likes to do the flour/egg wash/breading process, you can just put your damp filet in the mix which hydrates the egg and you get a good thick, delicious breading without all the mess. There’s a couple other brands that do this too, But Craigers tastes the best, IMO. I used to buy it at the Sportshow, but heard they have it at Scheels now? Haven’t had it for a while, will need to take a look next time I’m there.

walldows

The Cajun Chef Roberts is our go to

big_g
    Isle, MN

Like the Sturdiwheats Lemon or if I make my own, plain saltines and Lays ripple style chips crushed… the perfect amount of salt and not overpowering. The homemade is really good on crappies grin

AK Guy

I use a 50/50 mix of shorelunch and panko. But, the first spring crappies I get will get the Dot’s treatment. Thanks for sharing the photos.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Right now I’m liking Back Forty from Mills a lot. Craigers has been my favorite the last year. And I always keep some Drakes around. I like the Dots and enjoy trying new dry batters.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Craigers tastes the best, IMO. I used to buy it at the Sportshow, but heard they have it at Scheels now?

They do, I just bought some recently, but haven’t tried it yet. I like Cajun Shore Lunch with Panko, Ritz or Kelloggs Cornflakes. Dots was just ok imo, I didn’t like the pretzel texture and didn’t think it was very well seasoned with their flavoring.

Stanley

I like fryin magic but have to admit I don’t keep many fish so I haven’t experimented with other breading. Some of these sound really good and will have to give them a try this year.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

+1 on the Back 40 from Mills. And sometimes I mix it 50/50 with Cajun Shorelunch.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Lately my goto is Seasoned Salad Croutons. Cheese-It’s are good too.

toddrun

Louisiana Blue Bag is my go, to been using it for years, have not found anyone who did not like it.

John, I tried this on a trip to LOW this year. I didn’t like it, so I am at least one person that did not like it.

But, I will say, I like the flavor of fish, don’t want a batter that covers that up. I tried just putting a few fresh slices of bread in a blender, using that as batter. I liked that a lot. Crunchy, but no overwhelming flavor, just add a bit of salt.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

John, I tried this on a trip to LOW this year. I didn’t like it, so I am at least one person that did not like it.

But, I will say, I like the flavor of fish, don’t want a batter that covers that up. I tried just putting a few fresh slices of bread in a blender, using that as batter. I liked that a lot. Crunchy, but no overwhelming flavor, just add a bit of salt.

This is precisely what Drakes excels at. I use it on small panfish so I can taste them.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

Fair enough. They also sell a more plain version I do not recall the color of the bag red maybe?

mojogunter

Sturdiwheat used to have a Cajun that was my favorite. When they stopped making that I switched to the Louisiana Cajun in a red bag. I have to order it online because I can’t find it anywhere locally. It is pretty good.

Deuces

If I had to pick this is the winner. Lemon pepper flavored panko is #2. All the others mentioned here are good as well. As far as frying fish there really is no wrong answer IMO as long as it’s not a soggy mess

lol

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

chef roberts lemon pepper has been my go to but ill have to try that dots batter a try. Also very interesting to hear B-man say he uses bread to suck the moisture out of the fish. ill have to try that too

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Sturdiwheat used to have a Cajun that was my favorite. When they stopped making that I switched to the Louisiana Cajun in a red bag. I have to order it online because I can’t find it anywhere locally. It is pretty good.

Sometimes Cub has the Louisiana Cajun. Crappie I lay my fillets on paper towels before I fry to suck up the moisture.

haleysgold
    SE MN

chef roberts lemon pepper has been my go to but ill have to try that dots batter a try. Also very interesting to hear B-man say he uses bread to suck the moisture out of the fish. ill have to try that too

Don’t think you read that right.

He uses “breading” to to absorb the moisture. It looks wet after it absorbs some of it. He’s referring to the Shore Lunch Chicken breading I believe.

Coletrain27

Shore lunch regular and Cajun for me. The chicken batter is on my list to try. I don’t care for the dots pretzel stuff.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.