Favorite big swimbaits

• dbright
    Cambridge

What are you guys using for large swimbaits? Any favorite jigs to go with your bigger swimbaits? I fish some that are in the 4-6″ range on h20 jigs but that seems to be about as big as I can go without switching to a different style jig. I’d like to find some 6-8″ plastics to try.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Owner saltwater jigheads and a Big Hammer brand swimbait or Berkley hollow belly. The big hammers are solid and last for many fish; these are my favorite in the 6″ size. The hollow bellies are easier to find in stores, but do not last as long, especially when dealing with pike.

The powerbait flatback shad used to be my favorite, but they have been discontinued.

Jeff Fitzpatrick

A favorite of mine are 4″ and 5″ AA Bad Bubba Shad with a 1/2oz VMC Ike approved head. That combo has been responsible for all my biggest eyes.

michael keehr

I also like the owner saltwater jigs but I like the zman mag z 8 inch in smoky shad or pearl

Sylvanboat

TacticalBassin has some great YouTube videos on this.

Deuces

Perch looking ripple shad in the 4″ always catches fish on lakes. Always. Might be called firetiger, but it’s more natural looking.

Michael Johnson

This is the reason I make my own jigs. You can put what ever size and quality hook you like in the jig styles you want.

Muskygone

Muskybassbaits101 on eBay out of Alex MN has 3.5″ and 5″ swimbaits that work great and cost about a third as much as the name brands.

Spoon Minnow

I pour my own in 3 different sizes and in 3 different shapes. For color, Spike-It dye, Color-Rite dye or soft plastic color added to hot plastic.

The above were copied from my photo log files.

dbright
    Cambridge

Looks like a few good ideas. I really like the idea of pouring my own but I am positive I don’t need any more hobbies.

Deuces

Spoon, there are a couple baits there I’d pay money for. If you ever want to pour some extra give me a shout. Nice work

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Keitech easy shiners are the bomb. Paired with outkast tackles goldeneye jigs. They actually sell all jig wieght sizes in differant hook sizes. And not the big thick shank hooks. Lighter hooks that penetrate well. For example can get a 1/8 ounce in a 1/0 hook or a 5/0 depending on the size of the swimbait.

Spoon Minnow

This is the largest swimbait I make:

Weighted hook weighs about 3/8 oz.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.