Fattie laker

• lundojam

31″ 14 lbs laker up the Gunflint Trail. Walleye Sweetheart and 6# line. Released. Lotsa fun; scraped the sides of a 8″ hole.
    Just sharing.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_160810_563_1549220501105.jpg

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Beautiful fish! Your smile says it all I’m jelly.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That is a pretty fish.

B-man

Amazing color, nice fish man waytogo

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I think I know that place smile
    Love that color on those dark lakers, some almost look like huge brookies!!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Nice job. applause

Beautiful fat fish, congrats on a great memory! How long did it take to ice?

Al Case

What length walleye sweetheart were you using?

Gitchi Gummi

Beautiful fish! You have got to love the burn area – it is such a unique landscape.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Are you sure that’s a laker and not a splake? The markings on the fins say splake. If so, your catch is even more impressive because that could be a huge splake!

I’m not an expert, just observant. Awesome catch!

Sample splake photo below…

Attachments:
    1. splake.jpg

B-man

Are you sure that’s a laker and not a splake? The markings on the fins say splake. If so, your catch is even more impressive because that could be a huge splake!

I’m not an expert, just observant. Awesome catch!

Sample splake photo below…

I’m 99.5% sure that is a 100% lake trout. I’ve caught a lot of splake in the Chequamegon bay/Apostles area.

The dead give-away is the tail. Lakers have a really deep fork like his does in the pic. Splake tails have about half that amount of fork.

Again, that is an absolutely gorgeous fish.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m 99.5% sure that is a 100% lake trout. I’ve caught a lot of splake in the Chequamegon bay/Apostles area.

The dead give-away is the tail. Lakers have a really deep fork like his does in the pic. Splake tails have about half that amount of fork.

Again, that is an absolutely gorgeous fish.

Okay, I’m a believer. I picture lake trout more like they look from the Great Lakes (Michigan, Superior) with the more bland colors and without those “brookie” looking fins.

Sample pic of Lake trout what I imagine…

Attachments:
    1. lt.jpg

B-man

10-4 Andy, that’s indeed what the vast majority of Lakers look like.

Their appearance can change with each body of water, just like walleyes. Some are dark, some are light.

And there are also different sub-species or “morphs” of lake trout. Lake Superior itself has four distinct morphs, not including the mostly man-made splake.

There are Leans, Siscowets (fats), Redfins, and Humpers. Leans and Siscowets are the most common seen and caught, but native Redfins and Humpers are also found.

Even though they’re all Lakers, they each have their own look and behavior.

Humpers often have the distinct white edges that people often associate with Brookies (coasters) and inland Splake.

Here’s a pic of an awesome humper that hit a spoon trolling a couple summers ago (they rarely hit trolling spoons in my experience, and prefer vertical presentations). They also prefer distinct structure, whereas other Lakers will live almost anywhere. They also have disproportionate sized pectoral fins compared to other Lakers of the same length.

Attachments:
    1. image000000_282.jpg

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

This thread is awesome, keep the information on lakers coming. As a guy who has only accidentally caught one laker in the summer on the Canadian side of LOTW, I have really wanted to make a trip targeting them but I don’t have much for knowledge. Congrats on the beauty of a fish!

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Wow! What a Beauty!!! Nice Work!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.