FatFish 949i or Otter XTH Lodge

• thaddeus
    St. Cloud, MN

Thinking of getting a popup shelter for hosting friends and family on the ice. Debating on either the Otter XTH Lodge or Eskimo FatFish 949i. I’m leaning towards Otter as I have an Otter Cottage and the company has always treated me right. However, the Eskimo is taller by 4″ @ 80″, and me being 6’2″ the Otter might be too short @ 76″. I’ve also only fished out of the Eskimo before and they are nice but would prefer the grey interior of the Otter. Anyone have experience with the XTH Lodge, especially you taller guys? Any input appreciated. Thanks!

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I have the Otter and wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’ve fished out of the Eskimo and while not bad, it wasn’t to level of the Otter. The light interior is a big plus for at night as well as it reflects light better. I also think the canvas is of a better quality. As far as height I’m just under 6’2″ and I’ve never worried about the height. The extra four inches is that much more space you have to heat.

zooks

I have the Otter and wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’ve fished out of the Eskimo and while not bad, it wasn’t to level of the Otter. The light interior is a big plus for at night as well as it reflects light better. I also think the canvas is of a better quality. As far as height I’m just under 6’2″ and I’ve never worried about the height. The extra four inches is that much more space you have to heat.

Sportsman’s Warehouse in Coon Rapids has both of them set up next to each other and after looking at them, I share Al’s view – Eskimo is good, Otter is better and the light grey interior is really nice. I’m also 6’2″ and I’m not concerned about the height difference. I’ll be buying a XTH Lodge at the end of the season. Hope this helps, good luck.

shockers
    Rochester

I have the 949i and like the height on it. Haven’t fished out of the Otter so can’t say how that would compare – though would suggest you stand in both. Sort of depends on what you mean by “tall”.

I’m 6’6″. Eskimo “fits” me fine.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

How’s the bag on the otter? I had a 949i and loved the oversized bag.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.