Fantasy Ice Fishing – – Points system

• Steve Hale

Hey guys,

We have a group of college buddies going up to Mille Lacs and are looking to
    add a little excitement with a point system because of the regulations.

This is what we have so far – – wanted to get your opinions and input
    We are from South Dakota so never get that way fishing much.

Thanks

Mille Lacs Fantasy Ice Fishing
    Each person has to put in 10 bucks!!
    Points will be totaled throughout the weekend. Night fishing does count (Picture must be taken to prove). Person with the most points wins the pot. In result of tie, the money will be split evenly.
    All misses will cost $2 – – no points will be lost
    All Fish will be awarded a 1-point bonus for being caught using a rod.
    All Legitimate Assists will be awarded 1-point.
    Every fish caught equals a shot of Peppermint Schnapps!
    Walleye
    • Any Walleye – – 2 points
    • Keeper Walleye 21” – 23” – – 4 points
    • Over 23” – 28” – – 6 points
    • Keeper Walleye over 28” – – 8 points
    Perch
    • Any size – – 2 points
    Northern Pike
    • Under 30” – – 5 points
    • Over 30” – – 7 points
    Bass
    • Any size – – 4 points
    Tullibee (Cisco)
    • Any size – – 2 points
    Muskie
    • Any size – – 25 points

Any other fish will be decided by group for points!!

Drunkest Guy of the Day Award – – 10 points
    Lost Phone Down the Hole – – 100 points
    Fall in a Hole – – 10 points
    Change the poop Bag – – 10 points
    Visit neighboring shack and get free beer – – 5 points

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Sounds like a fun idea. My advice would be to put a limit on points for a certain species. For example, you could clean up on dink perch and they count the same as a <21″ walleye. It might also be difficult to keep people honest on misses. Unless you mean they obviously have a fish on and it gets off

Mr. Derek
    NULL

Lose a fish at the hole- Minnow shot

Deuces

Cool concept, but most people I know would forget and/or completely care less about their points by 11pm Friday.

Big fish pot about does it for us.

Don’t need incentive to drink, we already do plenty that toast

I’d maybe add a penalty for losing a lure. Lose a few points with a bite-off or break, maybe 3X for a poorly tied rig. Nothing more classic than ribbing over a bad knot. You’ll need to pass the rod around for a pigtail inspection. hah

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

First to touch their cell phone = first round at the bar

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Killing a generator – 10,000

Killing a strobe light – 5,000

twisted

riverruns
    Inactive

Who could possibly keep track of all that and keep it strait?

That seems like alot of work while on a fishing trip with friends. I say the person in charge of keeping track of the points, wins by default?

Keep it real simple. You’ll enjoy that more.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Eelpout??? Very likely catch out there.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

That’s too damn confusing and you’ll ditch it after the first 5 fish.

Bring a pile of mich goldens, hamms, or whatever you flatlanders drink, and hand out a shotgun for every walleye you catch. Few here and there throughout the day and night, and hopefully gets hot around sun down. Seems ideal. Always fun to pick on that one guy too (as long as it isn’t you) waytogo

Steve Hale

Eelpout – we thought about adding that.

As far as the scoring system, we have a computer programmer so he will have a program where you just put in the fish and it adds it up for you. We are going like Mid-Feb so the fishing might not be to hot!!

We rented a 10 man house and might do a little day fishing trying to find some.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming please – – HAHA

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Looks like a cool and fun concept, might add something similar to one of our trips this winter. I think that is a lot of points to keep track of though… what about buying a cheap whiteboard to hang in the fish house, and just keep a running tally mark going by each guys name?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

That’s too damn confusing and you’ll ditch it after the first 5 fish.

Who you kidding…they’ll never make it pass two fish with all the boozing!

Sounds fun but yeah, you might need a dry erase board to keep it straight.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Are you gonna have a pallet of Schnapps on hand? shock
    I’d have a minimum size on perch, like 9 inches or so.

Steve Hale

pailofperch – – I hope we catch that many fish!!!

MidFeb can be tough so the goal is to keep us a little interested.

Anyone think the musky value is to high? We have never caught one through the ice.

Also thoughts on Appledoorns? Thanks

BigWerm
    SW Metro

pailofperch – – I hope we catch that many fish!!!

MidFeb can be tough so the goal is to keep us a little interested.

Anyone think the musky value is to high? We have never caught one through the ice.

Also thoughts on Appledoorns? Thanks

I like it! Musky and Eelpout are pretty unlikely catches up there imo, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Appledoorns is great, nice restaurant but weird hours when we were there 2 winters ago, and not much going on in the bar/restaurant at night so we would go to Hunters for dinner/entertainment. The fishing was mainly a primetime and over night bite, so I’d plan on moving throughout the day. There is often a breaker out from there, so you may need to travel a bit to get to the mud, or fish all the south end structure that you can drive to without leaving the ice.

Steve Hale

Thanks for the info…….

We have always kept track of the fish on a white board. Assuming the shack has one hung up. We got the ten man shack from Appledoorns. What should I request from them for placement?

Spear house? Any thoughts we thought maybe one day/night of that if it was worth it?

Deuces

Mid Feb on mille lacs?

Point systems only are fun when points are being scored…..

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Thanks for the info…….

We have always kept track of the fish on a white board. Assuming the shack has one hung up. We got the ten man shack from Appledoorns. What should I request from them for placement?

Spear house? Any thoughts we thought maybe one day/night of that if it was worth it?

I have a skid house out of Appeldoorn’s & really enjoy their resort. Not near the traffic Hunters Point or Mac’s Twin Bay gets. Yes, their office hours are goofy but it’s generally pretty quiet. When I have buddies come Saturday morning, they are usually there about 6 and the office doesn’t open till 7, sometimes 8. So they just do the honors system, pay when you leave for your day pass. (they usually know where to go & have been out before)

As far as placement, its up to you. I usually start the year up on top of some structure (17-22′) but then I pull off towards the bottom of the structure around the beginning of February (25-28′). It’s all up to your preference. If you plan on staying in the house all the time, I’d probably setup a little deeper & try to stay on a day bite while still getting a few fish at night. If you plan on taking portables out or have a tip-up spread during the day, then maybe setup the house shallower for a good night bite.

I wouldn’t be worried about a bad bite in February as much as worrying about a wicked cold front that shuts the fish off. I’ve had my skid house for 12+ yrs & yes, fishing can get a little tougher towards the end of February, but its never been bad. The only real advice I can give you is too not forget your bobber rods & minnows!!

john garrett

lol if someone tried to clean up catching perch and the bite was on they would be shitfaced drunk before lunch

404 ERROR
    MN

Mid Feb on mille lacs?

Point systems only are fun when points are being scored…..

Yep, we’ve experience the excitement together…

Get @bearcat89 out there and he’ll clean house without even dropping a line for falling in holes…

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Get @bearcat89 out there and he’ll clean house without even dropping a line for falling in holes…

Ouch! There’s stories to be told there!

Steve Hale

Finally heading out this weekend fellas – – I will let ya know how the fantasy Ice fishing turns out…..

HAHA

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Bring a deck of cards.
    Catch a fish – get a card.
    Best poker hand at the end wins all.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.