Fall Fishing Patterns

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I fish most the year, but not nearly as much in the fall. I think because I get busy with various hunting seasons I also have younger kids and only so much time.

Gonna be up on the pond this weekend with my son, plan to walk for some grouse but want to get on the water fishing too.

What are some good fall patterns? Do leeches still work right now? (I still have some I kept alive from Labor Day) Talking walleyes here. Have walleyes started moving back in shallow yet, or more mid range?

I’ve heard about rigging suckers this time of year. Mostly for smallmouth or? And what depths would you target this time of year? Most of my smallmouth action I do in June and target 8-12ft of water and rock piles.

TIA

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Stick baits or shads trolled over rocks. You will get box fish.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Not so much. Day fishing is the same as ever.
    The hottest bite is evening / night with this ultra clear water.

lindyrig79

Got it. I was thinking the fish move back in shallow during the fall. But maybe water temps aren’t low enough yet. I think I’ll start with some deeper mid-range stuff during the day and then move in shallower towards evening

The_Bladepuller
    South end

I just got done lowering both my lifts. That water is getting very brisk.
    It is food that drives walleye location in my experiance.
    I.E. Rock / gravel shallow reefs can be insanely hot when the Tulibees are spawning w/ temps in the mid to low 40s. After the little “Snickers Bars” are done so are my favorite reefs.

lindyrig79

Most boats were out deep still tonight. We started deep and didn’t do squat. Moved to one of my other spots at 21ft and my son got 1 walleye. Then trolled Shad raps in 10 ft of water right before dusk and my son caught a decent smallmouth. We were only on the water about 90 minutes but my son said he had enough. I could have stayed longer but always try to leave when he says. A nice short trip out and he outfished me 2-0. Will see if the grouse cooperate tomorrow and maybe get a line wet again tomorrow evening. Surprisingly it seems the patterns hadn’t changed much since I was last out which was Labor Day weekend, fyi

lindyrig79

Forgot to report back. Caught 5 walleyes Saturday evening in 21-23 ft. They were all small like 12 inches. I have caught a lot of small walleye this year compared to recent years. Changed gears and spots right towards dusk and went trolling again. Transition area with some weeds nearby. Had a good tag pretty quick and thought it was a slot walleye but turned out to be a pike. Called it an evening after that.

lindyrig79

Seems the fish have moved shallower. Last two evenings were good. Trolling #5 Shad raps in 10 ft. Friday night me and a buddy got 2 box fish and I went out myself tonight and got another box fish with multiple other fish mixed in.

Attachments:
    1. D6910133-5E56-45FB-BCF0-2A5E97BF6DD6-scaled.jpeg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.