Fall Fishing – Anyone Else Counting Down?

• bigstorm
    Southern WI

Maybe its just me, but this year, I’m looking forward to fall more than I can remember. It could be because last ice season was one of the worst I remember, followed up by a mediocre spring for walleyes and a hit/miss panfishing bite thru the summer.

Once I get to late July and beyond, I start staring at the calendar waiting for October.

For the past 3 years and this upcoming fall, the first week of October is spent on the MN side of Rainy Lake. I’m back for a week and a half, then have a 4 day weekend with some good people from work on my home lake chasing walleyes and saugers, and by that time, the bite is on thru ice up.

Once ice up is here, I have a lot of options for panfish and some for walleyes/saugers with an upcoming trip to Upper Red over New Years with the wife followed by deep water perch until ice out. At that point, the cycle starts over

Maybe its just me, but the 2nd half of summer I could deal without

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My spring was quite the opposite. Had a fantastic walleye bite, much of it being sneaky-just-outside the metro lakes that put out. Really looking forward to hitting some of those and see what kind of big fish show up.

Ever since summer showed up has been nothing but work and kids softball. Softballs been over for some time, but works still there and the calm can be seen on the horizon.

Need to find a damned boat, technically, I don’t have one now! Yikes!

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I was looking forward to shore fishing Mille Lacs. Looks like that’s out. Walleye fisherman just can’t lay off a hot bite even though it is in the hottest part of summer time and they are killing fish left and right.smh

hnd

yeah i’ve been counting down the days. its been a rough summer. not much time in and the time in has been fruitless. had good ice and spring fishing though.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

My spring was quite the opposite. Had a fantastic walleye bite, much of it being sneaky-just-outside the metro lakes that put out. Really looking forward to hitting some of those and see what kind of big fish show up.

Ever since summer showed up has been nothing but work and kids softball. Softballs been over for some time, but works still there and the calm can be seen on the horizon.

Need to find a damned boat, technically, I don’t have one now! Yikes!

Did you sell your Alumacraft Nick? It’d be easier to quit heroin!

I love fall fishing for many reasons. Obviously the plump fish are a blast to catch but the sheer beauty of the season. Shorelines on fire with bright, vivid colors. The cool, crisp air is invigorating.

There’s a small lake up north that has a overweight Walleye with my name on it, hopefully this is the year I get to introduce myself to her. Bigwerm knows what I’m talking about, he met her this spring.

Bring on the cool temps, bright colors, campfire smoke and my date with Miss Piggy!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I was looking forward to shore fishing Mille Lacs. Looks like that’s out. <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleye fisherman just can’t lay off a hot bite even though it is in the hottest part of summer time and they are killing fish left and right.smh

you can shore fish for bass and northern and perch.. with a catch and release season, the closure really changes nothing. the launches now become bass launches… the fall trolling is for bass and northern also. kind of more a political posturing than anything else.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I look forward to fall trolling on Mille Lacs for northern and smallies, and playing bumper boats with Belle Taine!!! devil toast

One of my favorite things in the fall is to bow hunt the morning, fish all day, and bow hunt the night. Like a cast and blast, but a string(er) and fling? Still working on the name… lol

Justin Phillips
    Bloomer, WI

I live for fall steelhead fishing on the Brule, def counting down. Fall fishing and ice fishing is 90 percent of my fishing!

kabefisherman11

I am with you guys. Early October kabetogama/namakan trip is always awesome. I’m looking forward to it for sure.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

34 days to Rainy Lake, but who’s counting? peace

Just need to get thru September, trying a local lake for some pannies tomorrow

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.