Fall camping/canvas tent

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’ve got a number of different away weekends this fall, sept. thru november. A camping wedding, hunting trips, prairie exploration, etc. I’ve been thinking of buying a nice canvas tent. Any experiences or advice appreciated. It’ll just be me and a dog or two. I don’t need a giant one, and I was thinking of just getting one of those small coleman heaters to take the nip out of the air in the tent. Of course water proofing and wind are two things I’ve had on the brain. It can blow a bit on the great plains.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I ended up buying an ozark wall tent 10×12 from Walmart. Check it out as an option. It’s way nicer than you would thinks and costs around $500 as opposed to the 2k of a Davis or other high quality tent.

So far we really enjoy it. We use it for deer rifle opener up north. I bought a wood stove from cabelas I believe. They make better quality stoves but this one works just fine. The stove will heat it up to 80+ in there on a winter night. Added bonus is you can cook on it which is awesome.

We use Bunk Cots to save on space. Would definitely recommend if you plan on having multiple people stay in there. Other than the Cots and the stove we just have a simple table for food and a stereo ect…

A few tips

Don’t bother with a floor. It’s a pain to clean. If you want to use anything just use a tarp.

Speaking of clean you’re gonna need to dry it out at home if it snows/rains. That can be a pain

A wood stove will keep the place warm for a max of 3 hours. Use a good sleeping bag and sleeping pad to extend your night in bed otherwise plan to be up every few hours to stoke the fire.

Bring a CO detector

A tarp over the top of the tent can prevent burn marks and keep the tent dry

I know you mentioned using a propane heater but I would recommend a stove. It’s just really pleasant to camp with a wood fire

An awning can be a nice feature. Gives you extra space to store firewood and coolers ect

That’s about all I can think of at the moment. A wall tent isn’t perfect and has some inconveniences but all in all it’s a lot of fun

isu22andy

I’ve really liked the looks of Kodiak Canvas tents however don’t like that they don’t include a stove jack for a wood stove . I spent a week in the Prarie of Montana in a Walmart special wall tent with various buddy heaters and electric heaters driven off a generator . Surprisingly good tent however setup isn’t quick . We’ve taken it on probably 10 plus trips including 2 thunderstorms and it’s still kicking .

Condensation is a real mood killer with the propane heat. We put a false ceiling in the tent above our bags to collect it and I bet we had over 2 gallons of water in it .

If you want to go real light weight – seek outside and others make some floorless tipis with stove jacks . Pretty cool setups but they ain’t cheap !

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

For reference probably takes about 15-20 minutes for my brother and I to set it up/take it down

FinnyDinDin

Kodiak tent with a buddy heater, CO2 detector, a quality cot and sleeping bag. Nice and toasty and holds up to winter elements well. I’ve had mine in blizzards. It’s a great summer tent too and stays cooler than traditional tents. Quick and easy set up and take down. It’s heavy so transporting by person is difficult but I would imagine that is the case with any canvas tents.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’m done with tents.
    Have only used a tent cot the past 10ish years. Love that thing. Even then not impressed with sleep I get and I go as far as putting 3″ memory foam in there and have used it all 4 seasons.

Now it’s hammock for me.
    Got a tensa4 stand recently so no trees are needed.
    Much better sleep.
    With the right gear it’s a 4 season option like a tent can be.

B-man

For just one guy and a couple dogs I’d look into a teepee or something quick like a Gazelle or Clam.

I don’t know that I’d want to set a wall tent up by myself.

isu22andy

Anyone mess with those ice shack style hub tents yet ? Sure seems the way of the future to me !

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Kodiak Canvas 10×14 flexbow is amazing. Heats very well with a buddy heater and the canvas breathes so there is no condensation. Plenty of videos online that show stove jack installs too. Cant beat them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

In your case I use Mt otter hub house and camp with a tarp on the floor.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Anyone mess with those ice shack style hub tents yet ? Sure seems the way of the future to me !

Yes I bought one 2 years ago and use it all summer long.

FinickyFish

Are your ice hubs insulated that you use in the summer? I’ve got an Eskimo Outbreak but thought it would be sweltering in the summer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Are your ice hubs insulated that you use in the summer? I’ve got an Eskimo Outbreak but thought it would be sweltering in the summer.

Yeah I meant for his September through November camping, I have only used Mt otter to camp in around those same months where evenings are chilly and days are warm. Otherwise I use one of my few tents.

B-man

Sorry wrong thread lol

Please delete

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230801-162050.png

big_g
    Isle, MN

camping can be hell in a small town… crazy

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

camping can be hell in a small town… crazy

rotflol

Bman I laughed way to hard at that slip up

FinickyFish

Yeah I meant for his September through November camping,
    [/quote]

Ah… that makes sense.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I run a kodiak 10×14 flex bow all year. Great tent. I camp in campgrounds that have electricity at the site and use an electric oil heater in the cold months and a standing AC in the hot months and love it.

FinickyFish

I run a kodiak 10×14 flex bow all year. Great tent. I camp in campgrounds that have electricity at the site and use an electric oil heater in the cold months and a standing AC in the hot months and love it.

Would love to see your setup of the a/c. I’ve seen a few diy solutions online, but no consensus on the best way to set it up.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.