Walleye ?

• bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

I’m thinking about trying a spot on a smaller river close to home this weekend.This spot is one of very few spots on this river that has some sand/rock bottom,I have never fished this part of the river but have heard of guys smacking the eyes in the fall in this area. My question is if there are walleyes there in the fall would it be a good place to give it a try in the spring like now.And what kind of presentation would you use to find fish and eliminate unproductive water in a spot you have never fished before.I will be in a boat.
    Thanks,
    Rick

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Only one way to find out, and that’s to go fish it. Hard to say what to use without seeing what the river is like, but its hard to go wrong with pitching plastics or blades.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

You fishing the Pecatonia? I agree w/John, only one way to find out. Water temps down there should be decent, plastics are a great way to cover some water. Is it shallow enough to cover w/crankbaits? Another option…

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Reverend, yes it is on the Pec. and the the spot that I heard about for years is a spot that I haven’t ever made it down river far enough to checkout so I’m not exactly sure what the depth and structure might be there,except that it’s supposed to have a fairly sandy bottom.I remember my dad telling me that there used to be an old dam down there he said they used to go down there swimming when he was a kid and it had a real sandy bottom like a beach. I was supposed to go with my buddy on Sat. but found out he has to work.I was hoping we could use his boat because I don’t know if mine would be to big to get in and out of te river.I was thinking about using a 3-way rig if I can find away to go and I love to cast and pitch jigs thanks for the great idea. If I knew I could get my boat in and out ok I would like to try some vertical jigging to.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Maybe a Dubuque rig for the deeper areas with a plastic on the dropper and live bait on the riser. Pitching jigs to shallow sand and rock from a distance, or during low light, should be a good way to cover water also. Sand with scattered wood or rock would be a real bonus!

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Thanks for the tips John,good tohere from you.Congrats on the new boat.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.