How do you use light jigs

• davey
    Itasca, Mn.

:I’ve often wondered what type of line is best when you want to use light jigs 1/8 ounce or less with live bait to fish for walleye, light weight mono, fluorocarbon, fire line or spider wire? I always have trouble getting the jigs to contact bottom unless I fish very shallow and slow yet I read about people who do have great success at much greater depths, how are you doing it?

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

You want bottem contact but you really dont want to be on the bottem, let the jig sink and then vary your style till you find what the fish prefer, most of the time I have my best luck slowly dragging it when windy or when calm just a simple lift and hold waiting for that tick or the plop of the jig touching bottem again. With light jig a small diameter super line is almost always best, the sensitivity is unmatched and most time the bite with this style of fishing is very light, hope I made some sense for ya

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

When I fish very light jigs I pay very close attention to what my line is doing. Sometimes I can’t feel bottom but my line will tell me i’m on the bottom. I mostly use trilene xl in 4 and 6 pound.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

6lb. Vanish has worked well for me in the majority of conditions the river has to offer. Like Targa eluded to ~ the line will buckle when the jig touches bottom. Light strikes on the descent will also buckle the line
    A good quality medium light extra fast action rod will help with the feel.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I fish a lot of smaller rivers and 1/8th oz jigs are my favorite size to pitch. When using them I often team up a medium light rod with 8 pound Power Pro. It has a 1 pound diameter and no stretch that allows you to feel everything that looks at the jig. Also, the thin diameter allows it to sink and fish better. I would highly recommend trying it in the hi vis yellow. Good luck!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Good post Steve…
    Depending on my River presentation…
    Casting to current seams…6# Endurance Mono…68MXF
    Dragging…6# Hi Vis Braid…70MLF
    vertical jigging/SuperDoos… 63MXF

davey
    Itasca, Mn.

Quote:

Good post Steve…
    Depending on my River presentation…
    Casting to current seams…6# Endurance Mono…68MXF
    Dragging…6# Hi Vis Braid…70MLF
    vertical jigging/SuperDoos… 63MXF

You have got to love this site and forum, what a great way to get advice from those who are willing to share knowledge to help another angler refine his/her skill. Thanks for all the advice now all I have to do is get out on the water and do some practice. Just one more thought or maybe question is a better word, do any of you use the Rapala knot I think is what it’s called to tie your jig on? It’s the knot that leaves an open loop through the eye of the jig which seems to give the jig more freedom to move.

sauger hunter
    Pickwick Dam Tn

How fast of current can you fish this size jigs in and stay in contact with them? Here were I fish were using heavy jigs up to 1.5 oz to keep up with the current and still feel the bait. We at times are forced to fish 3 MPH current.
    I started last fall using a pair of 7ft 6″ light action crappie jigging rods with 6 lb test line to fish some Long haired jigs in 1/8 oz to 1/2 oz and did good. These have hair that’s around 3.5″ to 4″ long on them. There killer on casting to fish on gravel banks. But trying to use them in our deeper water for winter time Sauger. I tie these up and there tough jigs Powder coated heads along with Matzuo Sickle hooks in them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.