lake pepin newbie

• goclones
    waterloo, ia

Hey all,
    I am new to the site and love what I have found so far!! I am visiting some friends in Red Wing on the second weekend of Oct. and would love to catch some fish while there. They don’t fish, but thier 4 year old daughter loves to fish so I promised her a trip on the lake. I will also have my 2 boys 5, and 7 with me. I would love to get some fall eyes. Can you slip bobber them in the fall, and if so, how deep and what kind of bait? Does trolling cranks work better? I don’t plan on trolling with the kids, but maybe I’ll get out by myself and my oldest son for a few hours also.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

stop into everets resort or call dean there he will do his best to put you on fish. i would personally troll even with the kids its fairly simple and it should put fish in the boat. i havnt fished the lake in a while so i dont have any recent reports but i would start near the north end of the lake or even in the can line and go from there you can cover alot of ground trolling. also a pan fish bite may be starting soon in the marina in red wing that may be god for the kids.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Feel free to give us a shout when we are closer to the dates of your outing.If history holds true and mother nature is predictable lol, you should be safe at the “head of the lake with some #7 rapalas and or flicker shads for a fun day of fishing.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

In regard to information from Evert’s, I have come to this conclusion:
    1) Homemade baked goods =’s excellent up to the minute information

2) Store bought baked goods =’s , well you can figure that one out!
    When you get there, stop in and talk to Dean-like he said, the river is always changing.

goclones
    waterloo, ia

Thanks for the tips guys, and yes, my wife is an excellent cook, so Dean, name your price for up to the minute conditions and your belly will be full!!

goclones
    waterloo, ia

Just curious where the best place to put in would be? Is there a public access in Red Wing, or should we drive to Lake City? And, is the head of the lake considered directly below the dam, or downstream from there where the water opens up?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

2 public launches in Redwing,with coville park being the closet to the head of the lake area.If fishing just the river,ya might consider here at Everts or the back channel has a public launch as well,but it does have a few limitations in shallow water or if you are by yourself and unfamiliar with the closing damns. Should the south end lake bite be happening then Lake city for sure.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

If it’s the lake you have your heart set on look for rip rap with a bit of wind on it either troll or cast crank baits.

If you make it up to the top end of the lake the can line is a good bet to catch migrating walleye and sauger while trolling crank baits.

If you decide to hit the river the dam area is a good bet for sauger and eater walleye action. Good place to take the kids to since you can anchor up with the other boats. Eliminates boat control. Give the kids a split shot or 3-way rig with a plain hook and minnow. There is a good chance they will see some action

goclones
    waterloo, ia

Thanks for the information. It’s not the lake I’m set on, it’s the walleye/sauger. I would love to get some eaters, and let the kids catch a few. Maybe I can sit near the dam with the kids, and hit the lake later if I get out with one of the guys without kids. I really just can’t wait to get on the water. We were in Bemidji in august and did really well on the walleye, but they just don’t make ’em here in Iowa like they do up there!!
    Thanks again,
    Tom

goclones
    waterloo, ia

By the way, I’m new to the lake, and the Mississippi. What is the can line? Is this reference to the channel bouys?

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Yup, the buoy line is right

mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

GoClones,

Serious, swing by Evert’s or call Dean. He’ll get you on fish!!!! Especially with the kids!!!! Lord know’s he’s helped us more than once with the “moron’s” we bring up there!!!! (Limit every time if you’re looking for numbers and personal best’s if you are looking for that!!!! )

Dean is the man and will take care of you!!!!!

Go Cyclones!!!!!

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I’m still a relative newbie to fishing this area of the river, but the can line they speak of is on the northwest side of Lake Pepin. Or it is where the Missiissippi river widens and empties into the north end of the lake. It will be very obvious when you get to the can line. They are pretty closely spaced and in a fairly straight line.

honda72

I am kinda a newbie as well. Is the can line right in front of mount frontenac state park, by point-no point?

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Above point no point is the can line where the river and lake meet.

goclones
    waterloo, ia

I would like to thank all of you for your help again. Our family is really looking forward to heading north for the weekend.

Dean,
    What time do you open the bait shop, and now that we are closer, is the bite any good right now. We’ll take anything…crappie, walleye, bluegill, whatever is going good. (gotta keep the kids interested.) Do you stock flicker shads? I can’t find any around here and have heard from other guys also that this is still the hot ticket. Thanks again, and we’ll probably see you this weekend.
    Tom

goclones
    waterloo, ia

Can anyone confirm with me the regs on Walleye on Pepin? From the way I read it, it is 6 fish over 15 inches. (Is there a limit of only 1 over 20 inches like the rest of the state?)

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

nope just 15″ minimum on walleye and no size limit on Sauger 6 fish total combined

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.