Proper Eye Handling

• floridagatorblue
    Bettendorf, IA

I am fairly new to walleye fishing but need to pick it up as I live on the Mississippi River.

Could some of you please share with me the best/safest (for me and the fish) way to handle walleye and take them off the hook. I always get finned grabbing them behind the head like a northern, I still have not figured out the “gill Plates” either although I have been cut by them. Are these on the outside of the fish or inside the gills? I have seen a Jim and a lot of the guys on the shows finger them in the gill openings. I have tried this technique but it seems I routinely injure the fish by tearing the actual gills and then cannot release it as I wish.

Additionally when I have seen others do this technique the fish is totally calm and just hangs there on the fingers my experience is that the fish is flipping all over and is royally pissed. I primarily fish for bass so I am used to lipping.. this is Obviously a bad idea.

I am also curious as to how you handle northern that are too big to grab behind the head. I have seen this bellying technique but it looks a little ballsy to me.. I have fished offshore ocean toothy kinds before but that is gaff and billy club country. I am looking to catch and release. So I am VERY concerned with the health of the fish!

I am sure I will get a lot of joke responses to this but I am seriously wanting to learn how to protect myself and the fish so you guys can catch them later. Thunder always follows lightning

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.