Crosslake area Walleyes

• ErikHendo
    Crosslake, MN

I was wondering if anyone knew of a lake around crosslake that has a good population of walleyes on it. I live on the chain but as you can imagine it’s a little to busy this time of year for me to fish it. (on a weekend) I’ll be able to fish a little on saturday evening and I don’t want to be on the chain on a Saturday night. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I know I don’t live in the area but I am familiar with the Whitefish Chain as well as a few area lakes. I spent several summers up there many moons ago. My favorite place to catch walleyes on the Whitefish Chain in the evenings is under the bridge between Cross Lake and Rush Lake. I used to cast and bounce light weight jigs with a twister tail there on the rip rap on the Cross Lake side of the bridge. There is some current going through there and the fish like to lay int he riprap ambushing the bait.

A couple good area walleye lakes not connected to the chain are Pelican and Gull lakes. I’m sure there are several other smaller lakes in the Brainerd area that have good populations of walleye.

Eyehunter

fishandski
    Lakeville

As boat salesman knows, that bridge from Cross to Rush is right next to the Ye Ole Wharf resturant which on weekends that area is like grand central station. There are hundreds if not thousands of boats that pass through that area from before sun up to well after bar close, including some monster power boats probably well in to the 30 foot range. Not the greatest place to try and fish on a weekend, although it still is one of the better walleye spots on the liake Grew up on that lake years ago when a 21 foot speed boat was a “monster” and fishing out of a 14 foot green crestliner with a 9.9 motor was the norm. Now you get laughed at for a boat that size. Anyway…don’t know other area lakes all too well, but my advice would be to fish Upper Whitefish..(Well away from the bars/big boats). There are many great places to fish in UW!

fishandski

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Back in the seventies we had one of the faster boats on the lake, a trihull with a 100hp

ErikHendo
    Crosslake, MN

Yeah I feel out of place on the weekends in the 1700 lund fisherman I fish out of. There’s a lot of small lakes in the area but I don’t know if they hold a good population of walleyes. I’ve been fishing lakes up near longville on my way home from work on the weekends but haven’t done so hot. I might have to start fishing for panfish for a meal since I can’t seem to find the walleyes. They’ve been doing good on upper whitefish but it’s been a litte to windy for me.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

If you want crappies go just above the Army Corps dam at Cross Lake and fish to the left (north) side of the dam. There are some old wooden pilings or structure of some sort down there in about 10′ to 15′ of water that you can see when it is cloudy. The crappies stack on that structure every June/July. You can jig fish them but a slip bobber and a minnow work best. Just set your bobber for around 8′ to 10′. You can even fish it from shore but you have to cast out quite a ways. I’ve loaded up on crappies on that spot many times. This of course is above the dam. I believe the Pine River is closed to all fishing from the dam downstream to the hwy bridge at least it used to be.

Eyehunter

ErikHendo
    Crosslake, MN

Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to try that spot out since my spot is now only producing small crappies.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.