Rattllin Raps ?

• drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Just saw a post mentioning Rattlin Raps and it reminded me of a question I’ve had. Has anybody tried these or other lipless type cranks winter/spring on the river when lots of guys are throwing blade baits? It seems to me that if the current isn’t too strong in the area you’re trying that lipless cranks would work too. But I have not heard of anybody doing this when a strong blade bite is going. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are. Thanks!

dd

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Joel, I’ve caught a lot of white bass fishing the 1/8 ounce traps that way, but the larger ones seem to foul pretty easily when attempting to fish them vertically, just my uneducated observation.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Sean!
    I was thinking more along the lines of pitching them to shallow sand and working them back with a small amount of movement rather than fishing them vertical. Just like you would with a blade bait. There are a couple of instances this spring where I was catching on blades that I bet lipless cranks would have worked too. But , of course, it didn’t occur to me until much later that might be something to try.

dd

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I have done so a few times with no success for me. The blade baits have always out fished them in my boat. Every dog has it’s day but I just gave up on them

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Dustin!
    Well, I know Lenny likes them; but I don’t know if he ever fishes them early season or not. Maybe he will weigh in here too.

dd

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I do like the raps!!! For me they are pretty much a post spawn tool, though. I have not tried pitching them like a blade. I think they may be a bit cumbersome for that slow and stop type of retrieve. Frankly, a blade works so well for that I see no reason to try to imitate it. Once the water temps get into the mid 40’s raps start to excel for me. I think in some areas they are a more effective tool for casting cranks than a typical lipped crankbait. I can control my depth more effectively with a rap. For casting steep shoreline drops the rap can be retrieved with pauses that let it follow the contour of the drop very effectively.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Lenny!
    I saw you were on-line and I knew you would reply. So your thinking that the raps don’t fish well enough slow to use in colder water? That probably is the answer. I’ll mess with it a little next spring; but I think you and Dustin pretty much answered my question.

I think I want to try them a little more on the wingdams this summer. Thats another thing I haven’t tried yet. Thanks guys!

dd

dd

siclone
    W. Lakeland

On a related note, Gander (at least the one in Woodbury) has their Rattlin Raps priced at $1.99 a piece right now. I saw them yesterday.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve tried vertical jigging them and they get tangled up in the line relentlessly due to their slower more erratic action on the fall. A heavy / stiff mono would help quite a bit but once you got the bugs worked out… you might as well fish a blade bait.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

On a related note, Gander (at least the one in Woodbury) has their Rattlin Raps priced at $1.99 a piece right now. I saw them yesterday.

ACE in La Crosse has them down to $2.49 as well. I wonder if Rapala is making a change and trying to get rid of them.

CR

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.