Slip bobber knots

• Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I’m wondering what you guy’s do to keep your slip bobber knots from slipping? I hate having to reset the depth after every fish caught.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Is your main line mono or braid. I’ve not had much of an issue with the knots slipping on mono but on braid it is a constant battle. It doesn’t seem to matter how tight you cinch those ends… the stops stops will slip if even a slight pressure is applied.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

This past weekend on Devils I had a heck of a time adjusting the bobber stop on the suffix braid. With not much pressure on the intial tightening of the knot!! Very impressed with that braid as far as holding the bobber stop!

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I was using 6lb Berkley Sensation & it just kept slipping so I was allways reset the stop.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

You guys should try the rubber stops. There are a couple of different sized ones out there, but for the braid go with the smallest you can find. They cast just fine as long as your rig isn’t too light. I also use them when I am rigging. I will tie a flouro lead about 7 feet long and then just slide the stop up from my swivel until I hit the 10-12 foot mark. When you get a fish boatside just keep reeling against the sinker and the stop and you are back to a managable 7 feet for netting the fish.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Rubber Stops

I am sure you guys are aware they exist, but here is a link anyway.

mile832
    MN

I hear thin rubber bands work well and you can tie them on after youre rig is set up.

Tie it around the line like you would a slipknot and cinch it down tight. Then trim the excess.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Thanks Dan I’ll try them.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I like the rubber stops but have trouble with braid cutting through them. anybody else have this problem?

nater3
    Webster City, IA

How do you put the rubber ones on the string?

mile832
    MN

Try this Easy stop knot

Scroll down about half a page and check it out.
    Good way to save a few bucks.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

They come on a little wire loop with the bead. you just run the line through the loop and pull the stop onto it.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Quote:

I like the rubber stops but have trouble with braid cutting through them. anybody else have this problem?

I have had the same problem but it usually takes a little while. One thing I found that helps is to wet the line before you move the stop, water seems to cut down on the friction, and gets you a little more life out of each stop. The other thing I found is you need match the right size stop to the diameter of your line. The little ones tear apart on heavy line, and the big ones slide too easy on lighter stuff.

I guess the way I look at it I would rather replace a stop that works every time I go out, then get frustrated with a stop that I can’t trust to stay where I set it.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

On the same note as this post …
    Have any of you guys found a slipknot that works well with thin dia line, say like 4lb or most power line. The ones I have tried have always got caught the line coming off the spool and I have tried about every available slip knot out there in my area (Rochester,Mn)

I also agree the rubber band deal works very well on power line

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

I use waxed dental floss for the slip bobber knot. This works well on 6 lb Fireline.

Dave Gulczinski

marendt
    Lake City, MN

I always put two on. Never have had a problem with two.

big_g
    Isle, MN

This sounds like the best advice Iv’e heard so far… I am gonna try that. I have used the knots, the rubber beads, the little plastic dogbones, nothing stays put. I made my own slip knots about 10 years ago, so I have plenty. I am gonna try 2, and will post my results. I typically spool 6-8 Lb, Berkley Xtra Limp. Good suggestion marendt

big g

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

I always put two on. Never have had a problem with two.

Definitely works great!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.