Help tieing hair jigs

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Picked up some supplies tonight to try to make some hair jigs for the river tomorrow. You guys have any pointers on how to make these. I got 2 done so far and they are looking a little wooly on the shanks. Guess I will keep Practicing.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Okay. Im trying to tie some 1/4 and 3/8 jigs for the river tomorrow. One color, black. Any tips on adding the hair t them. Im just cutting a pinch off the deer tail about 3 to 4 time per jig.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I would say so far you are doing it right,just a little hair at a time.Once you tie more you will get more efficeint(sp)at it.

If you are ever down around the Rochester area,give me shout, I would gladly help you further and I even have all the supplis to tie,just bring youself.

I would be more than glad to help you out,I have several sizes and shapes of jigs and plenty of hair
    Makes for a great rainy day hobby and not to mention it would be great to meet another IDA member

Hope this helps you out some.
    Jeff

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just finished up 13 new hair jigs. My boy Jonathan even got in on helping me tie some. A little drying time and they will be put into action tomorrow morning on pool 2. The eyes down the tore up the only black hair jig I had today. Got more to feed them now.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Here is a photo of what my son and I tied up last night. Not the prettiest hair jigs I have ever seen.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

These guys gave the jigs the thumbs up today so Guess I didnt do to bad on my 1st try.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

1 more. Had to take a marker and blacken out the eyes to get some of the fish to go today.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Nice job Mike
    Nothing beats catching fish on lures you make yourself

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Oh by the way, nice looking jigs for your first time.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Those jigs don’t look too bad for a newbie. Remember it doesn’t matter what we think they look like. If they get hit they’re all good!!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Managed to pick up 7 today on the new hair jigs. 1 at 17″s and all the rest over 22″. It was fun to catch fish on home made tackle. Back at it tomorrow and then off to mille lacs on monday.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Managed to pick up 7 today on the new hair jigs. 1 at 17″s and all the rest over 22″. It was fun to catch fish on home made tackle. Back at it tomorrow and then off to mille lacs on monday.

Mike…you have found a “new” talent! Good Job!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Looks to me like you don’t need any help. They have passed the ultimate test-catch fish. Congrats.

Thanks, Bill

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Back tieing jigs again. Was wondering what length hair do you guys like on the jigs. Putting together some chartreuse and kelly green this time.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I put enough on to cover the hook, one thing I do for a leech imt. is to tie a black rabbit strip tail on there to give it the real leech look (they worked real good last week untill I lost them and havent had any time to tie some more) one note on the rabbit strip is to tie the bucktail on so it covers the tip of the hook, so the strip doesnt wrap around it.

Another tip for duabilty is when you wrap some on, put on some head cement and then add some more and so on, then you have the hair (or marraboo ) glued all the way to the shaft of the jig.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Any of you guys going to be at the bet together? Would like to compare notes on jig tieing .

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.