Which rod for cork fishing walleyes?

• les_welch

You guys that fish Mille Lacs, what rod in St.Croix and Loomis do you like for fishing slip bobbers for ‘eyes? Looking for series and length, which tip, and what line do you spool it with? Thanks WTA

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

WITHOUT A DOUBT the St. Croix Wild River in Medium action in 9′-6″ length. This is the best corking rod I have ever used. This set-up works excellent on fish from 14″ to as big as a walleye can get! The action of the rod protects the line, and keeps lightly hooked fish from throwing hooks many times. I also use it for rigging and pulling spinner rigs!
    I spool up with 6 pound Suffix Elite or Trilene XL, and use 4 pound Floro leaders.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I’m not sure about using those expensive rods, I use a scheels pro custom or something like that, needs to have some good back bone, med action. as far as the line? I like the power pro or something with very little stretch. When your bobber is out a ways from the boat, you want to be able to set the hook with a quick snap. I hooked up on over twice as many fish as the guy next to me who was using mono. The fish were running with the bait right at the boat and he wasn’t able to get a good hook set at all.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The reason I use Mono is that it is a lot easier on equipment. Superlines will carve grooves in your corks in short order, and you may not know it for a long time, keeping your line from sinking through.
    6 pound mono has worked for me for years. That is the reason for the WR from St. Croix. It has a flexible tip, and backbone right where it needs to be. These rods were made with steelhead and salmon in mind. So backbone is not a problem. The long rod helps when taking up line for the hookset. You simply reel until you feel weight, and len into it. The fish hook themselves, and with the length of the rod engaged…they simply cannot throw the hook. Even if you do not want to buy a St. Croix rod, try a 9 footer or better, and see what you think.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Chris!
    Here I am thinking I really should get a decent slip-bobbering rod when it occurs to me, “wait I have the exact same rod Tuckner is talking about!” I bought it to steelhead fish like 12 years ago and never really used it much. Its like getting a free rod! I pulled it out and it is in pristine shape. And I got reels just sitting around waiting to get attached to something!

Thanks for jogging my memory sir!

Joel

akockelm
    Metro MN

I don’t think it matters. I watched a friend’s 4-year-old niece catch 25″+ walleye one after another last summer on Mille Lacs. Her secret weapon — a Barbie fishing pole

johnnie candle
    Devils Lake, ND

Scheels makes a great bobber rod in their Walleye Series. It is 7’6″ long and has a nice tip as well as plenty of back bone. I use these a ton here on Devils Lake and think they work very well.

My set up consists of a Wave Buster Bober, 15 pound Spider Wire Ultra Cast, and a 2 foot leader of Vanish Leader Material. When I am in the trees over here, I use 10 pound leaders, when I am in open water like at Mille Lacs, I use 6 pound leaders.

One tip, pre-tie your jigs and hooks all on leaders the same length. When you break off a jig, just replace the leader and you will never have to adjust your bobber stop.

les_welch

Hey Johnnie,

Glad to see you are still fishing the circuit. I watch to see how ya do, every tourny. I fished with Peters, down on P4 out of Bay City, the last time the PWT was here. Thanks for the reply, and good luck on the trail. Les Welch

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

My set up consists of a Wave Buster Bober, 15 pound Spider Wire Ultra Cast, and a 2 foot leader of Vanish Leader Material.

Johnnie

Tell me about the spider wire ultra cast, please. I’m a huge fan of spider wire stealth for pulling cranks through flooded timber here on the Mississippi River but I’m not familiar with the product you mentioned. Is it a “super mono” similar to their previous mono offerings?

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Hey James used stealth alot in Devils Lake wood, what is your favorite knot.

Thank You

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The palomar gets it done for me.

les_welch

seems there website is down, but I searched ebay and this is what I found

NEW FOR 2007

SPIDERWIRE ‘ULTRACAST’

‘ULTIMATE BRAID’

Low Vis Green.

Made In U.S.A.

From the same company that produces BerkleyAbu Garcia Fenwick Stren Mitchell Johnson Spider and 7strand.

Spiderwire Ultracast Braid: Most anglers know Spiderwire best for their braids, and the new ULTRACAST is designed to be the best braid money can buy. It is extremely durable yet both thinner and smoother than traditional braids. Pure Fishing claims the line will both “Outcast and Outlast” the competition. In the company’s tests knot strength, casting distance, and breaking strength are all very impressive when pitted against Powerpro.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I did the same search and came up with that same press release. I’ll have to make a point of checking around for this product the next time I’m on a tackle shopping trip.

les_welch

now you have a “good” reason to go, lol

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Spiderwire Stealth is one heck of a strong line so if they found a way to improve it withy this new product I’ll definitely be giving it a hard look.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Bobber Rod & Reel. I have to disagree with Tuckner. I personally think that the St . Croix Wild River Rod in 9′ length (WSLG90LM2). This rod is Light Power (4-8lb) and Moderate Action. I got a steal on this Rod when Gander was closing in Fridley. This Rod reatils for $140, but I got it for $60. I have had some dandies on this rod and it took the beating and put the Hoggs in the boat. I’m thinking of buying another, because I never use it when Stacie is with.

Click below to see the:

9′ Wild River Rod @ Cabelas

I have it temaed up witha Shimano Sedona. I would like to add a Symetre to it, but no complaints on the Sedona. I use 8lb Fireline Smoke with a 3′ leader of SeaGur Flurocarbon. I also use a 1/8 to 1/16th oz. egg sinker above the swivel for the FC leader to Firleine. I love that rig.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Figures.
    The rod you speak of is too light. I use that model for crappies, and love it. I use the medium moderate for walleye. Huge difference.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

I did the same search and came up with that same press release. I’ll have to make a point of checking around for this product the next time I’m on a tackle shopping trip.

I just bought a spool of this line to give a try this weekend on Devils lake while corking and casting cranks…I will be putting this line to the test this weekend. Will report back after the weekend!!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.