Trolling Setups

• les_welch

I am looking to see how you guys rig your walleye/trout-salmon boats for trolling. I would like to see your rod holder setups for trolling offshores, and flat lining. If you have downriggers, I would like to see their postion. Just trying to get a feel for how I would like things. I would also like to know what type of rod holders you use, and the reasons you like them. This rigging is for a Pro-V 1900 LE, so it has the set-back console. I am trying to decide if it will work having the rodholders starting even with the driver, and ending forward of the console. If you could post some pictures it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks WTA

les_welch

ok, anyone want to explain how your setup is, even if you don’t have pics? Thanks WTA

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Do you have a kicker? Is it tiller or tied to your main motor?

les_welch

I have a 9.9 kicker, (bigfoot), and right now it is a tiller, but I am going to add a steering bar off the big motor, this week-end. So I will be able to run it either way. Thanks, Les

krisko
    Durand, WI

Ok I don’t have a pic…but I can tell you what I have.
    I run a 1600 Lund Explorer SS. I have an F75 on the back and two electric trolling motors, bow and transom.

In the summer I can troll cranks with my main…so I don’t usually need anything else like a kicker…If i do my two trolling motors work just fine.

It depends on how many are in the boat, but usually I’ll have 4 rods out the boat when there are two of us. I’ll have them on rod holders two out the back and two about mid way up the boat. I’ll run either lead core or long line out the back…the others will have boards. I usally take one side of the boat and my wife the other.

Just remember to check your regulations on how many lines/hooks you can have out. I saw a guy trolling with 4 rods out the other day on a local WI lake…DNR payed him a little visit.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

With your set back consols you’re a little limited on space back there. I think you will feel even more crowded with you rods if you are steering from the drivers seat, especially if you are running 4 rods. I would put 2 rod holders as far back on top your gunwalls as possible. Then put the others where they are out of the way from your seats. You want to have fast access to your rods without having to worry about getting up and bumbing into rod handles that might be in the way.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Lay out all of your rod holder bases and vision how you will fish.

Try to lay it out with the rod in the holder, so you know how much room you have with the handle protruding into the boat.

Make sure you can position the rod holder for both forward and back trolling.

Once you have this done, leave them there (don’t drill yet). And then go sleep on it. Come back the next day and make sure it is what you want!

If it is……..sleep on it one more day before you pull out the drill!!!

krisko
    Durand, WI

Like Ben said things get tight in the boat. I know in my smaller Explorer it does make it a challenge to get to the rods and keep them out of the way. In your case…not sure if you are gonna pull boards or not but you should be able to get them forward of the counsel and still be able to manage them quite well. I know in my boat it is decided right away who is to get what rods.

les_welch

I am thinking I will be able to run forward of the console, because there is lots of room. I will be pulling boards. I am very hesitant to get out the drill, so I want to make sure it is right. Thanks for the help, keep the ideas coming. WTA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.