South Dakota Crank bite in full Swing

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

With Water temps in the mid 60s on some bodies of water, fish are starting to be somewhat reliable. Pitching cranks and plastic is still a great option but with a full boat over the last weekend we elected to pull cranks for awhile. We fished a shallow basin roughly 6-8 feet of water with largely the same tactic fellow Staffer Joel Nelson has been highlighting down on Pepin. Craw colored #5 shad raps as well as hot steel were good producers on suffix trailed back about 100 feet on the counter. 20lb floro leaders did a good job on keeping the pike off the line. We found a long tapering shoreline with just a few green weeds sprouting up and we were in business. Between my buddy Chris, Randy, and there two sons we had a couple great days doing this on two different bodies of water. Body of water #1 yielded roughly 60 fish in 6 hours with most being 14-17 inches. Body of water #2 produced 20 fish in about 4 hours with average size being 16-to 19 with a few kicker low 20s in the mix. Two nine year olds had a blast reeling in fish after fish as the Dads and I cleared lines, netted and took off fish and had some laughs. The crankbait bite around here should only get better as the weather warms and a good weedline develops on some lakes.

– Shore bite is still going strong on a few of my haunts as well, hope you can all make a point to get out on the lake – QB

afull
    NW IA

Looking good! How fast were you pulling them?

Eyeowa
    Spirit Lake, Iowa

Smiling kids and walleyes!! Great report QB!!

Eyeowa
    Spirit Lake, Iowa

Quote:

Looking good! How fast were you pulling them?

2-2.5MPH

TripleA
    Blaine

Probably a dumb question but I am very new to trolling… were you using Planar boards? I would assume in such shallow water you would have to be as the fish would be scared by the boat? When fishing the “edges” do you use two planars on the same side or one out each side? Thanks!

mh454
    ND

Quote:

Probably a dumb question but I am very new to trolling… were you using Planar boards? I would assume in such shallow water you would have to be as the fish would be scared by the boat? When fishing the “edges” do you use two planars on the same side or one out each side? Thanks!

I can’t speak for the OP but in my experience, the boat/motor doesn’t seem to scare fish off in shallow water when the bite is active. Very clear/calm/slow fishing days might be a different story though (most of the waters I fish are generally dirty). Recently, I was trolling small cranks in shallow water with the big motor. We had 4 lines out and the line that was directly behind the boat motor was the hottest. We could put the same lure/color on the outer lines and they still weren’t as productive as the middle line. This line wasn’t even out that far either (25 feet maybe). I think the prop wash was actually attracting/triggering fish.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.