Pool 14 walleye update

• haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Special thanks to all the folks that helped us out again this year. 2014 will go down in the books as the year of big fish.

The fish have just about finished spawning here, so give it a few weeks and the bite should be going again, of course it is snowing right now. The quality of the females we collected this spring was the best in the history of our work on the river (>30 yrs). We didn’t bring but 1 or 2 females under 7 lbs back to the lab and had many fish over 11 or 12 lbs, a couple that were bigger still.

One female gave us 3.6 liters of eggs, which equates out to 486,000 eggs (we use 135K/liter, everyone has a slightly different number). That was probably the largest fish we’ve ever spawned. A 12.5 lbr we weighed a couple years ago gave us 3 liters, so it was obviously a bigger fish.

Can’t wait until next year.

stuart
    Mn.

Thanks for sharing,sounds like there are some really nice fish down there that a lot of guys are passing by to come further north and fish.
    Your fishery must not get as promoted as ours does.

wmcox
    Clinton, Iowa

Where were all these collected from. I heard talk of a few large walleye coming out of beaver channel. Not sure if its true or not. I have not caught any really big fish. Largest so far is about 5lbs. Hopeing to get atleast one really big walleye this year.

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

Thanks so much for your efforts. You have made this section of the river so good for the walleyes and the people, like me, who love them. Thank you again for all your hard work.

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks from me too! My largest walleye came from pool 14 a few years ago. Caught her by mistake while in a bass tourney. Lol

riverbottoms

Thanks Jeremiah for the post, you guys are doing an awesome job!

BBKK
    IA

Right on! The spawn is definitely on down here!

Both yesterday and today I caught several walleyes just packed full of eggs. Gently released of course. One today was 21.25″ and 4.1#. Fat mamma! Yesterday I mistakenly kept a female sauger (didn’t look fat at all!) and her eggs were not separated yet so she was a week or so off I’d say. The female walleyes were not dropping any eggs when caught, males were milting when squeezed. Fish are hitting HARD on moxi and pulse’r pitched.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Quote:

Where were all these collected from. I heard talk of a few large walleye coming out of beaver channel. Not sure if its true or not. I have not caught any really big fish. Largest so far is about 5lbs. Hopeing to get atleast one really big walleye this year.

Beaver, willow and Joyce’s. Willow and Joyce’s are prespawn spots, beaver you can hit for several weeks and catch fish. The riprap on the Clinton waterfront is a major spawning ground for walleyes, so there are a pile of males there too. Good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.