Line for Pulling Spinner Blades for Walleye

• walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

So I am sure this was talked about but I can’t find it and I want to know
    Ok what main line do people suggest to use (mono, flourocarbon, or braid) to use just for pulling lindy rigs or spinner blades (live bait rigs).
    This rod is only for this and it is a spinning rod 8 foot long designed for spinner blade rigs and bottom bouncers with a stradic reel.
    Now I just need to decide on the type of line and 6 or 8 pound test.
    Thanks for your input in advance. I want open water to come soon.

BBKK
    IA

Don’t pull many spinners around here.. but I have pulled lindy rigs many, many, times with great success. My go-to rig is
    6’6 MLF st. croix premier spinning
    10# power pro braid (yellow usually)
    walking sinker
    4mm bead, whatever color I grab
    #10 barrel swivel
    3-6′ section of 6lb fluorocarbon
    4mm glow bead
    #2-#6 octopus hook

For spinners
    7′ MF casting rod
    10# fluorocarbon
    1-3oz bottom bouncer
    6-8′ section of leader- usually also 10# fluorocarbon

I guess what I’m saying is, my spinner rod is a lot different than my lindy rod.. as they are about the most opposite rigs you can have. One I pull at .8-2 mph and the other .1-.8.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I prefer mono.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I run Sufix 832 10 lb for bouncers. Could go less but no need to. I run 10# floro for the spinners stiff so the run true

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Blades are a 10-12# braid to the 3 way.
    Rigging is 6-8# braid to the swivel.
    Then floro or mono after the weights.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

I’ve got 2 rods for pulling spinners. Both are MH one is very stiff throughout the whole blank. The other has a soft tip but loads up very nice. On the stiff tip I use 10# mono. On the softer one I use 10# sufix 832.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Keep it simple: Use whatever you most comfortable with.
    If your used to ‘setting’ the hook, and your used to mono or flouro, stay with it. I’m afraid if you go to a braid, you’ll rip the hook right outta their mouth and you’ll be frustrated. Just my thoughts for ya….

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

With spinners I go for feel to make sure spinner isn’t fouled on weeds, braid. Rigging I use mono, tried braid but I don’t like the way it feeds to the fish, too stiff, may try flouro this year. Good luck.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Ok question about Mono vs Braid. I know mono stretches so does this mean also that Braid may give you more feel if a fish is biting it light or it doesn’t matter.

shockers
    Rochester

I typically use Fireline Braid (14lb) as the main line. I do think braid gives better sensitivity. Sorta depends on where/how you’re fishing, too. But in general, always been very happy with Fireline Braid. Any braid probably – just helps not to have stretch in my opinion.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

14# Flouro for the leader/rig and powerpro for main line. I use both baitcaster and spinning reels depending on the weight and speeds.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.