slow death knot

• Tim J
    Duluth, MN

What knots do you tie to your slow death hooks?

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

sorry I couldn’t help it

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That’s actually a good question I was wondering that myself when I was pre-tieing some the other day. I figure a snell wouldn’t allow it to have the best action, and a loop would probably allow it too much room, so just went with regular knot I always use the trilene.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I tied a few with a snell and a few with a trilene knot. I’ll just have to wait and see I guess.

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

Palomar Knot, when the tag end is cut it act as a bait keeper, slide nose of crawler over knot and on to the tag end.

wisccatguy
    Blair wI

Quote:

sorry I couldn’t help it

Lol.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Palomar Knot, when the tag end is cut it act as a bait keeper, slide nose of crawler over knot and on to the tag end.

X2

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

With that problem solved has anyone put a spinner blade in front of it say #3 Colorado or would it kill the action of the hook? Seems like it could be a double yhreat

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

With that problem solved has anyone put a spinner blade in front of it say #3 Colorado or would it kill the action of the hook? Seems like it could be a double yhreat

X-whatever on the palomar knot. Be sure to leave the tag end at least 1/4″ long as this helps hold the crawler in place properly. Use a stiff line like 10lb Trilene XT as this helps translate the twist in the line to the swivel. And be sure to use a high quality swivel, not some cheap knock off.
    The biggest reasons why most people can’t make slow death rigs work for them is because they skip or cheat on the details of the rig. (stiff line, quality swivels, properly rigged crawlers…etc)

As for putting spinners in front of a slow death hook, don’t!
    It may work fine for catching fish but there’s no real benefit to it vs the normal hook that you would use on a spinner rig.
    Slow Death hooks are made the way they are to create a very specific action. Putting a spinner in front of it will usually kill that action.
    Normal rigging of a slow death rig has 1-3 4mm beads in front of the hook. Bead size may vary but going to big with the bead can also affect the action.

owen nelson
    Iowa

Last spring when people were using the slow death hooks and having some luck.We were knocking them dead with Macks slow smiling death rig I think the smile blade made the difference.I made a lot of them my self this winter cant wait try them out.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Last spring when people were using the slow death hooks and having some luck.We were knocking them dead with Macks slow smiling death rig I think the smile blade made the difference.I made a lot of them my self this winter cant wait try them out.

Do you have a picture or a link to one?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

slow death smilling rig

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

slow death smilling rig

One thing I’ve noticed as a guide is that a large number of fishermen have never really fished with a pro or guide that really knows slow death rigs inside & out. As a result, it’s hard for them to believe just how effective the plain & simple slow death rig can be.

As for this smile blade/slow death rig, I have read about it but have not fished it yet. It does appear to have potential and I intend to make comparisons this summer with the traditional slow death rig.

If it even comes close to being as effective as the traditional slow death rig, then more experimentation will be necessary to figure out where & when to use it instead of or in conjunction with the traditional rig.

Just for reference, the traditional slow death rig has put more fish in my boat for the past 8 years than any other technique I use through out the entire year. Which means replacing it, is a pretty tall order.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

The standard setup seems to work better for me. I’ve tried blades, blades with beads and once with a shuttle spinner and the standard set up with a small bead in front of the hook seems to work the best. But that is for my area and water type.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have a few packs of the small smile blades. Plan to try using them in a couple different variations this year, one being on some slow death rigs.

4d-rock

Quote:

One thing I’ve noticed as a guide is that a large number of fishermen have never really fished with a pro or guide that really knows slow death rigs inside & out. As a result, it’s hard for them to believe just how effective the plain & simple slow death rig can be.

As for this smile blade/slow death rig, I have read about it but have not fished it yet. It does appear to have potential and I intend to make comparisons this summer with the traditional slow death rig.

If it even comes close to being as effective as the traditional slow death rig, then more experimentation will be necessary to figure out where & when to use it instead of or in conjunction with the traditional rig.

Just for reference, the traditional slow death rig has put more fish in my boat for the past 8 years than any other technique I use through out the entire year. Which means replacing it, is a pretty tall order.

Very interesting. I’ve never fished a slow death rig, and this is the first time i’ve really heard about it. I might have to try it out this season. Do you have any tips or links to places to learn more about making them, and the proper time of year and conditions to use this?

Thanks

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

My favorite setup…

I use a normal palomar knot…. I tried a snell knot and it works but it really widened the spin I noticed which isn’t always bad.

I have basically tried every slow death hook on the market and the Trokar Re-Volve hooks are the best. Crazy sharp and more stout than other versions. When a fish starts thrashing in the net and I am trying to get the hook out others I had issues getting bent up and ended up throwing them away.

Like others have said as well though that swivel is key. Don’t go cheap! Combine a good swivel with a heavier line. I started with 8lb, went to 10lb and now run 12-17lb Fluorocarbon now. To man issue with crazy amounts of line twist in the past. No need for those colored versions either. As you can see from my picture, you can’t see much of the hook, so whats the point? Toss a couple of beads on (I like gold). The smiley blades also work well also. Key with those is to make sure you have a bead between the bait and the blade. It will spin much better.

Attachments:
    1. SlowDeath-Hook.jpg

loonswail
    Ankeny, IA

sorry I couldn’t help it

So, I guess that using Fire Line would be considered
    ‘CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT’?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.