Can line or Dam? Decisions

• TJ
    Hammond, WI

Hey guys,
    Gonna hit up the river this weekend and have been debating all week over the can line or dam? Had good luck at saugerama down by the can line but not sure if fish will still be there or if they have made the move to the dam? Looking for the same thing everyone is…fat and sassy saugers w/ the bonus walleye. If anyone can shed some light or shoot me a pm, it would be much appreciated!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There once was a tall guy that always spilled his coffee in the boat that said….

The dam is only 1/10 of the area that holds fish (from the head of the lake up). I don’t believe snaugers go from the lake directly to the dam without passing go. They stop along the way.

Limiting a person to the can line or the dam area is..well limiting the angler…just like saying I’m only going to vertical jig/minnow today or I’m only going to troll today limits a person.

Bait shops can tell you what worked yesterday. There’s no guarantee this will work today although the chances are good they will.

To answer your question more directly Mr. Ocean, I would start in Red Wing and move up stream…maybe I would make it to the dam…maybe not.

Then again, I don’t fish for those scaly things.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

There once was a tall guy that always spilled his coffee in the boat that said….

The dam is only 1/10 of the area that holds fish (from the head of the lake up). I don’t believe snaugers go from the lake directly to the dam without passing go. They stop along the way.

Limiting a person to the can line or the dam area is..well limiting the angler…just like saying I’m only going to vertical jig/minnow today or I’m only going to troll today limits a person.

Bait shops can tell you what worked yesterday. There’s no guarantee this will work today although the chances are good they will.

To answer your question more directly Mr. Ocean, I would start in Red Wing and move up stream…maybe I would make it to the dam…maybe not.

Brian, I am impressed. You have been paying attention. This may be the most informative post you have ever made.

Are you sure someone didn’t hack your account???

TJ
    Hammond, WI

I guess I shouldn’t say I’m looking for what “everyone” is looking for. Next time I will throw in the BK kitty cat exception. Thanks for the help. I will be launching from everts so that tends to steer me upstream…I’ve never had success (or fished much) from below everts to around young’s cabin. That stretch is on the agenda for next years learning curve.

cshurtleff
    Northeast Iowa

I’m thinking Brian might come over to the otherside and leave the kitty’s and join us dragging minnow and drifting.
    LOL

Chad

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I’m thinking Brian might come over to the otherside and leave the kitty’s and join us dragging minnow and drifting.
    LOL

Chad

NEVER!!!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Quote:

Brian, I am impressed. You have been paying attention. This may be the most informative post you have ever made.

Are you sure someone didn’t hack your account???

BK Paying attention ???? Only if fresh baked goods are in range and or if Spam is on sale. Just sayin!

PS Ocean, intell says both areas are putting fish out…for what it is worth…sometimes it is fun to just venture out & try some new water!Good luck!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sometimes it pays to NOT pay attention.

At least this time there was more then an apron.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

At least this time there was more then an apron.

If I recall….there wasnt a full moon that night!

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

I caught a couple of decent fish in both locations last weekend. It seemed like there were windows when the fish would eat….then nothing or just shorts for a while. The great thing about this time of year is you can fish however you like to fish. Thank goodness the new 4 Stroke is easier on gas!!!

Ryan

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Is there reason to not fish the main lake anymore?

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

Is there reason to not fish the main lake anymore?

….No. There is good ice fishing on pepin for eyes sauger all winter. Only 20% of the fish in lake pepin make a fall run…. …S0 There are plenty of fish in the “main lake” …Go get rrr done.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Absolutely not! If it makes you feel good…do it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.