walleye/sauger basics

• the pyromaniac

So here’s the deal… I asked similar questions recently about pike, muskies, and yellow bass. I’m looking to catch a lot of new stuff this year.

I’ll be fishing several southern rivers (Clinch, Powell, Kentucky, Holston, French Broad, Pigeon, Little Pigeon, Levisa Fork, Russell Fork, and Pound Rivers) that have strong populations of walleye and/or sauger. I’ve never caught one.

How should I proceed to make sure I catch some?

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

It’s fishing so maybe you will and maybe you won’t. Most of these guys are bottom fish.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I use to fish a lot of small rivers for walleye growing up in Central Minnesota. I found that mostly walleyes relate to the deepest holes you can find in small rivers. The hole may only be a Foot or 2 deeper than most of the rest of the river. Current breaks also are great places to look. They usually form a sightly deep hiole as well as a place out of the current for fish to sit. As far as baits and tackle goes a good supply of hair jigs, Small safty pin type of spinners, and plain hook and splitshots are about all you will need to catch fish. In the spring try small frogs on a mister twister spinner drifted thru holes or current breaks 0 those river walleys love a small Green frog drifted on a spinner – My #1 river walleye setup for sure. Good Luck.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Early spring and late fall, throw jigs tipped with minnows, ring worms and paddle tails.
    At night, don’t be afraid to toss stick baits like rapala’s at them. Just be sure to use a slow retrieve in that cold water.
    In summer, throw shad raps, flicker shads and similar baits at em and don’t be afraid to bang the bottom and reel a little faster when the waters warmer.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been on Powell, and its a new meaning to clear water! Great electronics and deep water for summer patterns. Most of what we caught we suspended schools

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.