6lb vs. 8lb

• dr._flathead

I need some opinions. I have always used clear 6lb mono for trolling crankbaits for walleyes. This year I have switched to clear 8lb. The only difference I can see so far is .002 in diameter.

Will I see any other differences between the two while actually fishing? Opinions?

-Dave

kroger3
    blaine mn

When long lining they dont run as deep but not by much…

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Why so lite on the lb test line?

Are you fishing really clear water?

Personally, I rarely go with anything less than 20lb superlines like fireline, powerpro, suffix 832 or equivalent.

On the end of my line I’ll tie in a 14 to 20lb flouro carbon leader.

I would lose way to many cranks if using line in the 6 or 8lb test range. The heavier flouro carbon line also goes a long, long ways in preventing bite offs when toothy critters show up.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I agree with Joel. I’ve been running 20# PowerPro and it’s saved me a lot of money. I also use a 20# floro leader.

dr._flathead

I use this set up on Mille Lacs on opener…..so snags, and losing baits is not an issue. (unless Mr Pike/Muskie decided to play) but thats been a rarity for us.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

i would say in a clear lake like mille lacs i usually will use a lighter pound line 6 or 8 both work i tend to use 6 pound for leaders on my lead core set ups up there. any other body of water though i use power pro 12 pound usually.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I use this set up on Mille Lacs on opener…..so snags, and losing baits is not an issue.

You may find this is changing very rapidly. There are zebra musles everywhere on the lake now. Light mono is a thing of the past in my opinion.

-J.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

why don’t you just ask for my “trolling bible”? you can look over the book i have, plus the custom sheet that has been worked on.

when moving up in line diameter, you lose depth.

btw – 10 pound XT in clear is great for pulling crankbaits.

dr._flathead

Quote:

why don’t you just ask for my “trolling bible”? you can look over the book i have, plus the custom sheet that has been worked on.

when moving up in line diameter, you lose depth.

btw – 10 pound XT in clear is great for pulling crankbaits.

With all that said, Whens the last time you actually caught a Walleye on a crankbait? Because I remember you caught NOTHING last year when we trolled crankbaits, I was the only one to catch Walleyes. I also know you never caught a Walleye on P4 this spring pulling crankbaits, so when was your last walleye on a crankbait? Im guessing it was the fall of ’09 on Duck Opener….

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

With all that said, Whens the last time you actually caught a Walleye on a crankbait? Because I remember you caught NOTHING last year when we trolled crankbaits, I was the only one to catch Walleyes. I also know you never caught a Walleye on P4 this spring pulling crankbaits, so when was your last walleye on a crankbait? Im guessing it was the fall of ’09 on Duck Opener….

hmmmm…i seem to remember catching fish opening night last year in my boat on the pond….. and that is the only time i’ve trolled with you in the boat…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.