Experiences with electronic rodent devices

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have declared war on chipmunks and Pine squirrels. Little monkeybutts are tearing out the foam bug guards at the roof line and getting into my pole barn. The damage they have done is unbelievable. Anyways, I need a better way than trapping them all out.

Does anyone have true real world experience with any of the plug in devices? Years ago we tried a few for
    Nice and they were a joke. Wondering if technology advanced enough that they actually work, and will they work on these other pesky bass turds?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice and they were a joke.

No experience in the last 5 years, but you hit it on the head prior to then.

duh queen

Those electric things are a waste of time and money. I use rat traps baited with peanut butter and screwed vertically to tree trunks and shed walls to keep them out of reach of the dogs. I also live in the country, so quality air rifles play a role in population control. Chipmunks aren’t likely to be the culprits on roof vents. it’s those %#@$! red squirrels that do the damage. If you see a squirrel chase happening, it’s usually a female in heat being hounded by a would be suitor. Get rid of her and you’ll eliminate 4-7 of the next generation.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I tried 4-5 different electronic ones. All worked for a few days then ALL failed after they got use to it.

Best way I found is a trap. I use no bait just put them where they run. Best traps I found are: https://www.intruderinc.com/products/the-better-rodentrap

Don’t forget to tie them to something. I had Chipmunks drag them some and MR. Fox take one along with a free meal. Found it 100 yards away.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

About what I figured on. I’ll just keep up with trapping them out.

Besides the Pine squirrels, I’ve witnessed chipmunks scale the steel siding and go through the ribbed area just pushing the old crap foam out of the way. Ceiling is the old pressed fiber board inside and they have all chewed up and falling down

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

About what I figured on. I’ll just keep up with trapping them out.

Besides the Pine squirrels, I’ve witnessed chipmunks scale the steel siding and go through the ribbed area just pushing the old crap foam out of the way. Ceiling is the old pressed fiber board inside and they have all chewed up and falling down

That SUCKS…I have five cats around and they are killing machines, Moles Sparrows even seen one that had a Pigeon from inside the hay mow. Only bad thing is they are starting to roam more as they have killed about everything that moves around the yard, they havent mastered the Barn Swallow's yet, try like hell. Almost wish that all of them werent fixed.

Wildlifeguy

As others have said, no. Unless you find a way to mechanically exclude the area they’re entering, you’ll be fighting a neverending battle. I haven’t done a lot of pole buildings, but I do remember a barn with a corrugated roof I did for bats. It’s time consuming and a real PIA, but it did work. Problem with rodents is whatever you use has to have metal.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You need a cat to kill the squirrels and then a dog to kill the cats and then a wolf to kill the dogs and then a mountain lion to kill the wolf and then a bear to kill the mountain lion.

I assume you have a gun to kill the bear.

CaptainMusky

Try a radio on some heavy metal station. My dad chose country but I’m guessing your creatures are more aggressive. He’s never had mice in his garage and has pails of corn etc in there.

CaptainMusky

I have a device in my garage that emits an audible sound and no mice since. I have nice right outside that get into my snowmobiles which irritated me but nothing in the garage.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have a device in my garage that emits an audible sound and no mice since. I have nice right outside that get into my snowmobiles which irritated me but nothing in the garage.

It kept the squirrels away for me. They didn’t come back after I plugged one in. The one I bought is for rats. It also cut down the amount of mice by probably 90%. I am a believer.

What brand/model?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Those electric things works like on the first week, but once they get used to it, it doesn’t work anymore. And the electric things often burns itself out, short circuit.

I knew nothing sold cheap would last that long anyways.

Adam Steffes

I wonder if a radio with lots of noise would help with this or if they would eventually wise up and head in anyway. Metal would keep them out but you would lose ventilation then.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I wonder if a radio with lots of noise would help with this or if they would eventually wise up and head in anyway. Metal would keep them out but you would lose ventilation then.

I’ve tried country, rock, miserable pop stuff talk radio…., all eventually fail

CaptainMusky

What brand/model?

weitech transonic cix. It’s got multiple settings for different levels of annoying sound. Did I mention it’s annoying? It seems to work however.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20220324_095729301-scaled.jpg

CaptainMusky

Those electric things works like on the first week, but once they get used to it, it doesn’t work anymore. And the electric things often burns itself out, short circuit.

The one I have is on 24 hours a day and has been working for years. I actually dont even know how I acquired it. Perhaps from my dad.

robby
    Quad Cities

Another idea, and this works. Get a couple 5 gallon buckets. Simply fill them with water about 2/3 or 3/4 and put some shell on peanuts in the water. They will float. You will be suprised at the rodents you get. Just check the buckets each day and pull out the dead critters. My ex Father in Law did this. He would get over 100 chipmunks and rodents each summer/fall. It worked well, but he had to keep up on it. They ceased getting into their garage, etc.. He just tossed the carcasses in the timber behind their house. No smell. The other critters around there ate them up.

duh queen

This whole thread reminds me of the time my neighbor had trouble with skunks living under his porch. I told him to put lutefisk under the porch. That it’ll get ride of every skunk. A week later I asked how things were going. ” Great!” he says. “But now I can’t get ride of the Norwegians!”

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.